Issue with merging a donor record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bhm014

Issue with merging a donor record

Post by bhm014 »

I am having some troubles to merge a donor record. A donor record has been created for that person under her maiden name and when she got married her certificate has been updated. I tried to merge her record ( with her maiden name) by adding first her record with her married name. MLS says that it won't allow me to do that because a record with the same membership number already exists (which is the one with her maiden name). When she pays her offerings I have no choice but to enter under her maiden name. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thank you for your inputs.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

heo014 wrote:I am having some troubles to merge a donor record. A donor record has been created for that person under her maiden name and when she got married her certificate has been updated. I tried to merge her record ( with her maiden name) by adding first her record with her married name. MLS says that it won't allow me to do that because a record with the same membership number already exists (which is the one with her maiden name). When she pays her offerings I have no choice but to enter under her maiden name. Does anyone know how to fix this?
You didn't need to create a new donor record. All you need to do is to edit her existing donor record (the one with her maiden name, which is correctly linked to her membership record number) to have a different donor name. That way no merging is necessary. You can just hide the new donor record you created -- you don't need that one.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”