New post: From Local Unit Websites to a Suite of Tools

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

The Tools menu provides a suite of applications, fully replacing the old “Local Unit Website” interface.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I noted that the article shows "Lesson Schedules" in the list of Tools, yet it is not available, not for me anyway. I was logged onto the site.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:The Tools menu provides a suite of applications, fully replacing the old “Local Unit Website” interface.
That statement does seem a bit premature. I'm excited by the progress, but as JD noted, Lesson Schedules is not on the Tools menu. Neither is the Newsletter, which isn't even out of beta yet.

So the claim that apps on the Tools menu are "fully replacing the old 'Local Unit Website' interface" is a bit weak. And by the way, it's been called "Classic Ward and Stake Websites" for well over a year (not Local...).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Does this announcement mean there is not going to be a home page for stakes/districts or wards/branches? Are units going to loose the public facing page they had with classic LUWS or is there a replacement/alternative coming?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Does this announcement mean there is not going to be a home page for stakes/districts or wards/branches? Are units going to loose the public facing page they had with classic LUWS or is there a replacement/alternative coming?

I was going to ask the same question. That was discussed in the Are all the pieces of Classic LUWS really soon to be in place on LDS.org? thread. In re-reading that, it's sounding like the classic site will be retired before the "unifying site" is in place. But hopefully they still plan on doing that.

Personally, I'd be happy (for now) with just a page of links. Just to get people into the habit of going there. Sort of a Rev 0.1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Thanks for articles like this. We had a chuckle that the tools in the letter have been out for two years, but just now the letter is arriving. I wish THIS ARTICLE was sent to every leader, and lets not wait another two years to do it! Can you make a copy for the bulletin boards and send it to us!
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Currently there is a plan to replace the landing page feature of the old classic site with a unifying app that will bring all the other pieces together, however, this project is still in the concept phase. I'm not sure if the classic site will hang around until this piece is implemented, or if the plan is to decommission it sooner. I don't think that has been set in stone yet.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”