LDS Tools broken for iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
gbrooksby

LDS Tools broken for iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

Post by gbrooksby »

I just downloaded v2.0 of LDS tools on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. The app simply does not work in this configuration.

Issues:
- In the unit that came up by default, I can select a member to see their information and the data comes up, but if I press the button to go back to the directory it takes a full minute to go back. This was repeatable.
- If I try to select a different unit, it takes a full 2 minutes to change to the new unit. This was repeatable.

I am now left without the access to the information I need and which I had before the upgrade. I am a leader so the data may be encrypted and it may be the encryption/decryption that is taking time, but this much time is unacceptable.

It appears that no one tested this app on this hardware before it's release. In the product description there should be bold visible warnings that this app does not work acceptably on 2nd Gen iPod touch. Another thread mentions performance as a problem.

I believe this is very important to fix because this will cause users to abandon this app and find other, less secure, means for storing and accessing this information.

Is there a way to sign up to beta-test these apps before they are released?
gregblakey

Me Also Too

Post by gregblakey »

I also downloaded the latest version to my 2nd generation ipod Touch and now it simply opens up to the logo page, freezes for 30 seconds or so, then crashes. Is there a way to go back to the previous version?
PiersonRH

LDS.tools for iphone update May 8, 2012

Post by PiersonRH »

At least I know now that it is not my phone. It was working beautifully monday night before the upgrade. The only way I can now get the info to come up is to delete the app and reinstall. I hope they can fix this soon!
robbinsb
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by robbinsb »

There are some known performance issues around the Directory in older devices. The dev team is aware of these and is evaluating optimizations to address these limitations. If you're having crashing issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling. Upgrading to this version has already obliterated any previously created custom lists, so there's nothing to lose in deleting and then reinstalling the app.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Working great on my iPhone 4 - Action and Interview report is amazing!
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

If there are known performance limitations, then my suggestion would be to either withhold release until it is resolved, or warn users what will happen if they upgrade. Knowing that this was released in this fashion tells me I can never rely on this software and I should find alternate solutions to have reliable access to the information I need as a priesthood leader.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

gbrooksby wrote:If there are known performance limitations, then my suggestion would be to either withhold release until it is resolved, or warn users what will happen if they upgrade. Knowing that this was released in this fashion tells me I can never rely on this software and I should find alternate solutions to have reliable access to the information I need as a priesthood leader.
I think you need to remember that this is a project run primarily by volunteers - giving freely of their time. Just like any major software upgrade - better to keep an eye on forum comments for the first few days before taking the plunge and upgrading.

This tool is totally invaluable for me - and has vastly improved my ability to minister, so any minor glitches along the way are taken for what they are.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dannykos wrote:This tool is totally invaluable for me - and has vastly improved my ability to minister, so any minor glitches along the way are taken for what they are.

I agree that minor glitches are fine. Total loss of the app is not. Has anyone here had success in uninstalling and reinstalling version 2.0? This came up in another thread so I had a nearly too late clue to hold off on the upgrade.
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

Yes. I had "upgraded" over-the-air and had not performed a sync yet. I deleted the app entirely from the device, then went to itunes where I had not upgraded the app, so the old version was still there. I synced the old version back to my pod and it works. If you still have the old .ipa file around you can re-install. I copied my .ipa to a safe place where iTunes won't delete it so I can re-install if needed.

I agree, this is not a minor glitch. I am now looking into other contact managing apps so I can download a csv file from lds.org and manage things myself.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

gbrooksby wrote:Yes. I had "upgraded" over-the-air and had not performed a sync yet. I deleted the app entirely from the device, then went to itunes where I had not upgraded the app, so the old version was still there. I synced the old version back to my pod and it works. If you still have the old .ipa file around you can re-install. I copied my .ipa to a safe place where iTunes won't delete it so I can re-install if needed.

I agree, this is not a minor glitch. I am now looking into other contact managing apps so I can download a csv file from lds.org and manage things myself.

Thanks for the tip on how to roll back the installation.

To their credit, the volunteers working this platform have been responsive in the past. They are probably scrambling to work out a fix for this problem.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”