File storage for linking to in calendar events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jncrow

File storage for linking to in calendar events

Post by jncrow »

My stake leaders are wanting me to look into if there is a location for files to be stored (such as scheduled, minutes for high council meetings, etc) that can then be hyper linked to in the calendar description field. I have looked around and found no reference to this. Closest I have found is the upcoming newsletter feature which looks like it will be for the general membership. We are wanting something that permissions can be controlled, (i.e. a folder with stake council access, a folder with leadership access, and maybe another with general access) This came up in discussion about the ability in the classic site to attach pdf and such files to those getting the information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

At this point, there's no ability to put hyperlinks in calendar events at all, so it doesn't really matter whether you have a secured storage place. There's also no storage place whwere permissions are controlled by calling. Both would be wonderful capabilities, but neither one exists right now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I've also hoped the calendar will "mature" to act more like the newsletter. My dream would be a calendar event description that could contain hyperlinks to documents, increased formatting options, allow an attachment, etc., just like the newsletter now, but behave as the calendar does now, allowing Private calendar, email notifications, automatic reminders, etc. Or, perhaps you could add some cross-compatibility between the newsletter and a calendar event-like merging the two. The "Fathers and Sons" camp-out could be on the calendar, with a hyperlink option to the newsletter article that contains the brochure, map, etc. I know it's been suggested that the newsletter have "private" options as well, to make it work more like Google Docs, which is what you suggest for meeting agenda's, etc. I suspect many, many wards /stakes are now using Google docs for this very purpose. It would be VERY NICE to move all these to a secure LDS system....

Perhaps one day they will re-visit the calendar....
jncrow

Document attachments in calendar would work great

Post by jncrow »

an additional spot to the side to add an attachment much like in the newsletter would work great. I can see where I can use the newsletter for the more non-secure items such as snow removal schedule, and setting up chairs at stake events and such. However, an attachment on a high counsel or stake leadership meeting with an agenda or something of that sort really needs to be more secure. That way the invitees have a heads up of the agenda and can be thinking of what their input should be.

Return to “Calendar”