Certain stake members not showing

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
C_Fillmore

Certain stake members not showing

Post by C_Fillmore »

Found an odd problem. One member of another ward does not show up in the lds.org directory or on the LDSTools mobile app for members of our ward. This member has a stake calling and does not appear in the stake leadership directory. I checked with members of another ward, and they are able to see the individual, both in the stake calling and by selecting the individual's ward. I have tried clearing my cache and logging in from different PC's, but the problem is consistent. I thought it was just me, but two other members of my Bishopric have the same issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm curious as to what the privacy settings that member's family has set.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
C_Fillmore

Post by C_Fillmore »

Good point, but if someone has their privacy settings dialed up, would that prevent them from showing up in a stake calling?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

C_Fillmore wrote:Good point, but if someone has their privacy settings dialed up, would that prevent them from showing up in a stake calling?
Yes. Privacy settings control how a person or household appears throughout the Directory application. So for example, if a person with a stake calling has set their individual privacy to Ward level, then only members of their ward will see them listed in the leadership directory for the stake (aside from stake leaders, who can see all members of the stake regardless of the privacy settings).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
C_Fillmore

Post by C_Fillmore »

Well then that's the mystery solved. It's just the first individual I've come across that's changed those settings. Good info to know, I'll pass on to our Stake Clerk.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

C_Fillmore wrote:It's just the first individual I've come across that's changed those settings.
Actually, there is still a mystery as to "how" some settings change. There's been evidence of the settings being changed WITHOUT the individual doing it...but most of the time I suspect an individual didn't understand that his privacy choices in the directory were so far reaching through-out LDS.org, effecting also the calendar and the leaders ability to email them from the leader tool as well. (At least it's worked this way in the past.)

Realize that your stake clerk can't help this, as it would need to be addressed at the ward level. While I certainly respect individual privacy, if it doesn't make sense that somebody isn't showing up, I ask them about it. In the majority of the cases I've dealt with, when a member "disappeared," a contact from a ward leader asking if he/she really meant to disappear from all ward lists and not receive ward email notifications, they usually reverse his/her privacy settings so they can become involved again. They often say "no, I didn't want that, I just didn't want my email spammed," or "that's my company cell number, and only wanted the leaders to see it..."

Thread discussing the issue:
Classic Website's membership directory vs new membership directory
Privacy settings randomly changed

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”