Photo Privacy

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
idjeeper2

Photo Privacy

Post by idjeeper2 »

I did not search and this is probably covered somewhere else.

What thoughts do any of you have regarding privacy? My ward has had a bulletin board of pictures for a year or so. A couple of weeks ago the Bishopric announced that they were going to post the pictures in the online directory. My first reaction was "What if I don't want my picture there?" I don't have a reason for not wanting my picture posted and haven't thought about it since until I read this thread. They did say that if anyone had a problem they should talk to one of the Bishopric. And I honestly don't think they would argue with any member about removing a picture.

Do you have policies in place about asking for permission or do you just post them and put it on the members to complain/request removal?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

idjeeper2 wrote:I did not search and this is probably covered somewhere else.

What thoughts do any of you have regarding privacy? My ward has had a bulletin board of pictures for a year or so. A couple of weeks ago the Bishopric announced that they were going to post the pictures in the online directory. My first reaction was "What if I don't want my picture there?" I don't have a reason for not wanting my picture posted and haven't thought about it since until I read this thread. They did say that if anyone had a problem they should talk to one of the Bishopric. And I honestly don't think they would argue with any member about removing a picture.

Do you have policies in place about asking for permission or do you just post them and put it on the members to complain/request removal?
The privacy guidelines in the Directory help indicate that each person (or parent) should give prior consent before uploading photographs. On the other hand, the beta Newsletter guidelines do not mention prior consent but does mention that requests to take down photos or content should be acted on promptly. I'm not sure why the difference but it may be that since the newsletter photos are automatically removed after a year the privacy guidelines are a bit looser.

Note that this is really a different topic and should probably be moved to it's own thread by a moderator.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Moderator note: This thread was split from theAdding members photos to ward directory on lds.org thread in theGetting Started for New Clerksforum since it addresses a different topic.

Anyone uploading photos similar to this scenario of a bulk upload should be aware of privacy policy, privacy concerns, and the need for permission. Fortunately only administrators can do bulk uploads. On the other hand, some of those administrators may need to be instructed on privacy policies and concerns before they upload any photos. As I understand, or rather interpret, the policy for directories in Handbook 2, 21.1.15, any information included in any Church directory other than names, addresses, and phone numbers listed in a commercial telephone directory must have member permission to be included. Absence of an objection from a public announcement, to me, is not consent.

In addition to eblood66's comments, the directory has a visibility setting for each photo. But the problem there would be that the member or adult guardian would have to be aware that photos of anyone in their household have been uploaded by someone not in their household. Once they are aware, and I hope that is before any photos are uploaded, they can have the visibility setting changed appropriately or do it themselves.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

idjeeper2 wrote: My ward has had a bulletin board of pictures for a year or so.....
I'm sure for most wards you could say "our ward has had a bulletin board of pictures for 30 (50+?) years...."

And through-out this time, while in many wards, I've never been asked if my picture could be posted at the church, or if one of my kids pictures from Youth conference, scout camp, ward parties, etc. could be posted. Just last week at the Daddy- Daughter dance, a roving "photographer" was snapping our pictures. We all know where these will end up...on the ward bulletin board. Yes, I could have pulled him aside and said, "don't use any pictures of me," if I objected, but I didn't. We've all sat in front of the bulletin board giggling at the ward members having fun.

So, why ask now if you post those same pictures online instead, even if only the ward can log in to see them? In the digital age, it's just different. It seems entirely appropriate (and perhaps should be the policy in every case) to ask the individual and/or parent FIRST for permission to post these same pictures online, rather than promising to remove quickly if someone gets offended. In that way, nobody is offended right from the start, or feels "over-exposed" and uncomfortable. After all, the purpose for posting these online is to foster a feeling of community, friendship and goodwill, just as in the picture case at the ward.

Just my opinion, not an interpretation of any written policy or rule (your ward council can read those Privacy policies and discuss them for yourself)
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

It should be mentioned that the new directory provides for three levels of security for information (including photos): Stake, Ward, and Private (Leadership Only).

As the Ward Clerk, if you allow me to take your picture I assume permission for the Private level, i.e. for leadership usage. Unless I am asked to by the member I ask for permission to post a photo with any other security level.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”