Limiting search to a specific book

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
deh56

Limiting search to a specific book

Post by deh56 »

How can I limit a search to just one of the standard works (for example, the Book of Mormon or the Old Testament) or only to a specific book ( for example, Isaiah or Matthew)?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Type in your search and hit enter. Then use the links under "Refine Your Search" to the left to narrow your search results.
deh56

Limiting search

Post by deh56 »

I should have been more specific. I am asking about limiting a search on an ipad2.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

deh56 wrote:I should have been more specific. I am asking about limiting a search on an ipad2.
I only have an Android device, so I don't know if the iOS version of Gospel Library works the same way. But with Android GL, you can simply:
  1. Drill down to whatever level you want (Scriptures, or Book of Mormon, or Ether, etc.)
  2. Tap the Search button. This will bring up an entry field for entering your search string, as well as a set of check boxes for what content you want to search. If you drilled down to Ether, for example, only Ether will be checked (but you can check other items as well)
  3. Enter your search string
  4. Tap the search icon
I apologize if this is too different for iOS, but I don't have one of those devices.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

deh56 wrote:I should have been more specific. I am asking about limiting a search on an ipad2.
I haven't been able to find a way to accomplish this on GL for iOS. It would be a great feature to be able to determine the search scope.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gospel Library on iOS does a global search. But you may notice that the results list shows documents with a number in parentheses showing the number of hits. For scriptures, it only goes down to the major works (OT, NT, BkM, D&C, PoGP), but if you scroll down to that particular book of scripture and tap on it, the hits will be listed in order.

So, while not exactly simple, you could do a search, then select (for example) the Old Testament, and scroll down to review only the references in Isaiah.

This is the best way I have found to locate a reference that I know is in a particular place, especially in the scriptures.
deh56

Post by deh56 »

Thanks for the info. Scrolling in the results list to the Standard Work book, then opening it up to look for a specific book will work for now. Hopefully in the future the search capacity will become more specific to individual books.

Return to “Gospel Library”