How to control which LDS.ORG calendar events are synched

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jackw3

How to control which LDS.ORG calendar events are synched

Post by jackw3 »

I’d like to sync my iPhone with the lds.org calendar and I’ve encountered a few issues for which I’m looking for suggestions to resolve. I’ve checked around in the forums for similar issues and missed them if they are present, so please excuse me if my questions are repeats of others. My issues are as follows:

1. By virtue of my stake calling, I’m automatically subscribed to every stake calendar when it’s created. When I sync my lds.org calendar to Outlook or Google, every event comes over for every calendar I’m subscribed to. Is there a way to select the calendars to sync with other than by unsubscribing to the calendar? (The check boxes by the calendar names would be nice, but didn't work when I tried using them.)

2. Some stake “calendars” include both events that are and are not applicable to me. After synching with Outlook and Google, the resulting calendar is read-only and I can’t delete the non-applicable events. Short of the stake making some multiple of the 11 stake calendars we already have, is there a way to filter non-applicable events out of a calendar?

3. My goal is to sync my lds.org calendar with my iPhone. However, I don’t use Apple iCal; I use Outlook, Hotmail and can use Google Calendars. With Outlook and Google, I’ve successfully imported the lds.org calendar; however, both Google and Outlook create a calendar that doesn’t sync with the phone. To get these items into my phone, I have to manually drag the items out of the imported calendar and drop them in the calendar that gets synced with my iPhone. Obviously, this prevents automated synching. Is there a different solution here? What am I missing?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jackw3 wrote:Is there a way to select the calendars to sync with other than by unsubscribing to the calendar?
No. It's unfortunate that the subscription controls both the sync and the display, but that's the way it works.

jackw3 wrote:Short of the stake making some multiple of the 11 stake calendars we already have, is there a way to filter non-applicable events out of a calendar?

No. Hopefully the stake is considering the "audience" for their calendars and trying to plan what goes on what calendar accordingly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jackw3 wrote:By virtue of my stake calling, I’m automatically subscribed to every stake calendar when it’s created.
The "Auto subscribe to new calendars" is an option found in Settings:Options. It is checked by default and is an option for all users.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jackw3

Post by jackw3 »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions here and thanks for the reminder that I can deselect an auto subscribe option.
arick

Post by arick »

I when I sync between Google Calendars and the URL generated by the LDS.org site, every event on the stake calendar is added to my Google calendar. On lds.org, the calendar displays correctly. But on Google, I am getting all of them.

Any ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

arick wrote:I when I sync between Google Calendars and the URL generated by the LDS.org site, every event on the stake calendar is added to my Google calendar. On lds.org, the calendar displays correctly. But on Google, I am getting all of them.

Any ideas?

There should be no difference between your list of subscribed calendars on lds.org or a calendar you sync to (such as Google Calendar). The only difference I can imagine in the display is that on lds.org you can choose which of your subscribed calendars should be displayed. If you have checked all the boxes in the main calendar view under "Subscribed Calendars" then you should see all the same events. But if some of those boxes are not checked, that could explain why you're seeing more events on Google Calendar than on lds.org.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ericamcknight

Selecting certain events only..

Post by ericamcknight »

Okay this is my problem as well. I just successfully synced the church calendar into my Cozi calendar and got every single activity in the entire world that our stake has listed on our calendar - for all six wards and two branches. What I really want are the calendar events for my ward and for the Churchwide events (conference, etc.). So I selected/subscribed to just those items, generated a new URL, and synced again - but still got every single event in the entire stake on my calendar. Is there no way to isolate just what you want to see when you sync?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ericamcknight wrote:So I selected/subscribed to just those items, generated a new URL, and synced again - but still got every single event in the entire stake on my calendar. Is there no way to isolate just what you want to see when you sync?

That should work. Just make sure you're going to the subscription page (under settings) and that you're not trying to do it by clearing check boxes on the main calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ericamcknight

Post by ericamcknight »

Ohhh!! That's exactly what I was doing! I was clicking the checkboxes, not unsubscribing! Now I've resynced and it's perfect! Thank you!!!

Return to “Calendar”