Calendar allowing reservations and events to overlap.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
scorch29

Calendar allowing reservations and events to overlap.

Post by scorch29 »

I am a building scheduler but I was allowed to reserve the same room and time that a member had already set up an event for.

I tried deleting my reservation from my iPhone 4 but it would not delete.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

scorch29 wrote:I am a building scheduler but I was allowed to reserve the same room and time that a member had already set up an event for.
Was the person who created the event a member of the unit for which you were making the reservation? If so that functionality is completely intentional. Remember that reservations are not events. They also are made for units and not for organizations. So when you make a reservation for a unit in which there already exists an event there should be no conflict. Normally a reservation is made before an event is created. But because reservations usually cover repeating periods this situation may arise.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scorch29 wrote:I am a building scheduler but I was allowed to reserve the same room and time that a member had already set up an event for.

You can always create a reservation for the same room at the same time as an existing event (it doesn't matter at all what unit the reservation is for or who scheduled the event). That's a special power of a building scheduler, which is consistent with the fact that a building scheduler can schedule (or update) an event on top of an existing reservation.

Of course, no one (including a building scheduler) can create an event that conflicts with an existing event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That is by design. Many time reservations are repeating. If you couldn't create a reservation that conflicted with an existing event, you'd find it very difficult to edit a repeating reservation.

You may wish to review About Reservations to make sure your understanding of the term is the same as the software developers.

Please note that reservations are not events. If you try to use them that way, you'll likely run into problems - including the one you just experienced.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scorch29

Post by scorch29 »

aebrown wrote:You can always create a reservation for the same room at the same time as an existing event (it doesn't matter at all what unit the reservation is for or who scheduled the event). That's a special power of a building scheduler, which is consistent with the fact that a building scheduler can schedule (or update) an event on top of an existing reservation.

Of course, no one (including a building scheduler) can create an event that conflicts with an existing event.

I thought I understood how reservations works with events. It makes sense now that the building scheduler can create reservations at the same time an already existing event is scheduled.

One thing that doesn't make sense that I could perhaps still be misunderstanding is if the member for whom I created the reservation for decides to create an event from that reservation they will not be allowed to do so, correct? Given the rule that events cannot overlap each other (for the same room and time). If that is true why allow reservations to overlap at least without giving a warning that there is a potential conflict. I didn't get any warning of a potential conflict.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scorch29 wrote:One thing that doesn't make sense that I could perhaps still be misunderstanding is if the member for whom I created the reservation for decides to create an event from that reservation they will not be allowed to do so, correct?
They will be blocked if you set the reservation to "Blocked" or if their calendar doesn't belong to the unit you have reserved the rooms for.

Remember, you can only reserve for units, not organizations or individuals. So if you reserve the gym for the YM, there's nothing to prevent the elders from the same unit from scheduling it.

To quote from the help file: "Mostly commonly, reservations designate which ward is entitled to use the meetinghouse during the week. For example, a building scheduler might reserve the cultural hall for the 1st Ward on Tuesday nights from 6-9pm, the 2nd Ward on Wednesday nights from 6-9pm, and the 3rd Ward on Thursday nights from 6-9pm. "

That's all "reservations" were designed for. Most everything else should be an event or you run into trouble.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scorch29 wrote:One thing that doesn't make sense that I could perhaps still be misunderstanding is if the member for whom I created the reservation for decides to create an event from that reservation they will not be allowed to do so, correct? Given the rule that events cannot overlap each other (for the same room and time).

You can't create a reservation for a person; you can only create a reservation for a unit (ward, stake, or the special "Blocked"). But if you created a reservation for a unit, then a person in that unit who is a calendar editor or administrator will indeed be able to schedule an event on top of that reservation.

Scheduling an event on top of a reservation is precisely the reason reservations were created -- to allow only members in the specified unit (or a building scheduler) to create such events (and no one else). The "rule that events cannot overlap each other" applies only to events overlapping other events, not events overlapping reservations.
scorch29 wrote:If that is true why allow reservations to overlap at least without giving a warning that there is a potential conflict. I didn't get any warning of a potential conflict.
Reservations can't overlap each other -- if you try to do that, you'll get an error message and be unable to save the overlapping reservation. But as I said earlier, reservations and events can indeed overlap each other. That is not considered a conflict, since a reservation does not actually book a room. Only an event can book a room. So there's no conflict (potential or actual) when an event and reservation overlap (unless, of course, a non-scheduler is trying to create an event on top of a reservation for a unit he does not belong to).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”