Verified locations reverting to Unmapped

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rontilby

Verified locations reverting to Unmapped

Post by rontilby »

Verified locations are reverting to Unmapped
I am the Ward Clerk in my ward (Unit 132).

If a household has chosen "Ward Visibility" for "Show on Map" in the Directory, then I am able to place them on the map as usual, but the next day they are unmapped again.

Verified locations in the Maps App should persist regardless of the visibility settings that the member has chosen in the directory.

(I have also submitted this message via the Feedback link in the Maps App.)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rontilby wrote:Verified locations in the Maps App should persist regardless of the visibility settings that the member has chosen in the directory.
I don't agree. This is counter to the privacy the member wants. We have to respect the privacy desires of the members. I know this creates headaches for those who need the map data for their calling, but privacy trumps this need. Those who need mapping data for their calling will have to use some other method that does not violate member privacy.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:I don't agree. This is counter to the privacy the member wants. We have to respect the privacy desires of the members. I know this creates headaches for those who need the map data for their calling, but privacy trumps this need. Those who need mapping data for their calling will have to use some other method that does not violate member privacy.
I don't see why privacy settings should affect whether the location is verified. It's certainly reasonable that the "Show on Map" link in the Directory might not show up, depending on the privacy setting, and the marker on the actual map might similarly be affected.

But in the case at hand, the privacy setting has been set to "Ward" and it's a ward clerk who is making the change. It makes no sense at all for that privacy setting to affect what the ward clerk can do. This sounds more like a bug to me.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Perhaps I read rontilby's post wrong. I agree that if a household has been verified that it should remain so. I read "persist" to mean remain visible.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I read "persist" to mean remain visible.
If he's the ward clerk, it should remain visible - especially if the privacy settings are "Ward". So it should always be visible to him. So from his point of view, it should remain visible and verified.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

rontilby wrote:Verified locations are reverting to Unmapped
I am the Ward Clerk in my ward (Unit 132).

If a household has chosen "Ward Visibility" for "Show on Map" in the Directory, then I am able to place them on the map as usual, but the next day they are unmapped again.

Verified locations in the Maps App should persist regardless of the visibility settings that the member has chosen in the directory.

(I have also submitted this message via the Feedback link in the Maps App.)
Check the post below, for explanation.

https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... light=Maps
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:Check the post below, for explanation.

https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... light=Maps
That thread discusses a bug that relates to "private" household profiles. I didn't think it applied to this situation, where the visibility is "Ward" -- not private. But as I think about it, I suppose it is plausible that any setting other than "stake" could be considered "private" in a sense, so the problem described in that thread could indeed apply to this thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”