Out of Unit Calling

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
JamesRowley

Out of Unit Calling

Post by JamesRowley »

Two of the three members of our Young Single Adult Ward bishopric are members of wards in our stake. A new councilor has been called, however he's a member of a ward that is NOT in our stake. The Bishop needs to get him into the system as a Bishopric member.

How can I help him accomplish this? He's also a High Priest but does not show up as one.

Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jamesrowley wrote:Two of the three members of our Young Single Adult Ward bishopric are members of wards in our stake. A new councilor has been called, however he's a member of a ward that is NOT in our stake. The Bishop needs to get him into the system as a Bishopric member.

How can I help him accomplish this? He's also a High Priest but does not show up as one.

Follow the instructions on the wiki for creating an Out of unit record. Make sure you pay attention to the point about recording priesthood ordinances. Then you can give him whatever callings are needed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

YSA Bishopric members should not be created as out of unit members. I was instructed by my stake President that they should have their records transferred into the YSA ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lehrschallbrian wrote:YSA Bishopric members should not be created as out of unit members. I was instructed by my stake President that they should have their records transferred into the YSA ward

That conflicts with that is in Handbook 2: 16.6.5
The membership records of young single adult ward bishopric members and their families normally remain in their home wards. The same is true for those who serve in the stake presidency, on the high council, or in the stake Relief Society presidency of a young single adult stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Be aware that when you move their records back to their home ward, that will release them from there current positions in MLS and CDOL. The next day you will want to add the positions back in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:The next day you will want to add the positions back in.
After you enter them as a out-of-unit member. ;)

Just as a side note, it's possible that the reason the stake president said what he did is that there are problems with out-of-unit leaders getting access to the new websites. It used to be a lot worse. It's still not perfect, but it's getting better.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartwinters

Re: Out of Unit Calling

Post by bartwinters »

I am serving in a YSA bishopric and can see in LDS tools the YSA ward members info however I can not see the YSA ward calendar.
On the LDS website I can see the YSA Stake Calendar but there is nothing shown underneath it when I expand it. How can I get access to the calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Out of Unit Calling

Post by russellhltn »

bartwinters wrote:On the LDS website I can see the YSA Stake Calendar but there is nothing shown underneath it when I expand it. How can I get access to the calendar?
You need to subscribe to the calendars, otherwise they will not appear. Click on the ">>" icon toward to the top of the left column. Then slide the sliders to subscribe to the calendars.

Return to “Membership Help”