Building keys form

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
lehrschallbrian

Building keys form

Post by lehrschallbrian »

My bishop would like to get a copy of the meetinghouse key form but I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone have a PDF? I have seen the sample on the tech site but he wants the actual form.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lehrschallbrian wrote:My bishop would like to get a copy of the meetinghouse key form but I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone have a PDF? I have seen the sample on the tech site but he wants the actual form.
What makes you think there is an "actual form"? The Facilities Management Guidelines talk about keys, but don't mention any official form. I've never heard of any official form.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

lehrschallbrian wrote:My bishop would like to get a copy of the meetinghouse key form but I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone have a PDF? I have seen the sample on the tech site but he wants the actual form.
What more information would you need on a key form? I also have never seen or heard of an actual form. If you need the following files in a PDF, tell me and I can convert them in openoffice. We just use a spreadsheet, similar to below, and have the member sign next to their name.

From the wiki under Building keys. (go to the wiki to download them)
To assist in this tracking, forms such as the following may be useful:
  • Keys Acknowledgement Form: This is a sample form to be signed by each member who is issued a key.
  • Ward Keys List: This is a sample master list of all keys issued by a ward.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

I had a stake president who just had to put an authorization to copy for a key on official letterhead with his signature to get them made.
JeffTurgeon

Key Records, Tracking Keys

Post by JeffTurgeon »

TRACKING KEYS ISSUED:
We use a form that takes into account the individual keys issued along with responsibilities from the handbook.

One thing you need to do is be sure to stamp each key with a unique ID# so in the future when a loose key is found you can easily identify whom it was assigned to.

Example:
CL1 01 (means Clerk's Office for Ward 1, key number 01)
CL2 07 (means Clerk's Office for Ward 2, key number 07)
L 06 (means Library key, Key number 06)
M
12 (means Mechanical closet key, key number 12)
SM 04 (means System Master, key number 04)

2 Ward building could reserve ID#s in a series for each Ward in the building.
Example: Ward 1 uses ranges of 00-49, Ward 2 uses ranges of 50-99
CL 51 (means Clerk Office, key number 51, so it would belong to Ward 2)
L 06 (means Library key, key number 06 (so it would be from Ward 1)

The location ID run horizontal on the key while the unique key number runs vertical and is always a 2-digit number.

Keeping the keys organized was one of my many tasks. When issuing keys we have each person receiving a key sign for them and make sure they know to return them to the Bishopric or Building Rep so the key can be logged back.

If you don't track by key ID# you won't be able to tell if someone really returned their key as sometimes people think they returned it to you when in fact they did not. Upon return of their key we give them back the original key form they signed when they were issued a key.

We have 2 forms.
1) Individual key agreement (member reads & signs when issued a key)
2) Summary Excel doc that shows who has what keys at a glance and stays on the computer. Excel doc helps us ID lost and found keys.

I would love to eliminate keys altogether and use proximity cards instead but I can't get the FM group to buy-in.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

When I became the PFR, I discovered the complete mess we had with building keys. We had one building that had been rekeyed 2-3 years prior and the new keys were spread far and wide. College kids with no ties to the Stake were found in the building playing basketball at all hours.

We asked for Prox cards, but the FM group informed us that they were having trouble getting it approved for a YSA Stake building, where the transiency was much higher than our building. Plus, it's extremely expensive - something like $3000 a door? Seems very high, since I did my own doors at work for $700. Anyway, prox systems are only as good as the doors they are on... None of the interior doors are secured by them. I'm still a fan.

As for the keys, I asked the FM group to stamp the building number on the key. Every facility in the church has a building number. They peeled off two digits of that number for their internal reference. For example, the Stake Center is "28". My building is "26". I also asked the different mechanics to align their codes. So now "BP" is Bishop's Office for each of my buildings. "Gen" is General Entry. I'm not dealing with codes that one mechanic likes and then differing codes from another mechanic.

Finally, I bought a $15 stamp set and I stamp a 5 digit serial number onto each key. I'm currently tracking the keys on a spreadsheet. I plan on creating a web-based database that my Building Reps can log into and reassign keys and do inventories, etc. I want to build it so that it can be used by any Stake or FM Group that is interested. I might add for those who prefer to trumpet policy interpretation, that I'm not advertising this for anyone's use by my own. *Wink Wink*.

It's a lot more work to add the serial numbers, but I see a huge security hole, and I'm going to magnify my calling.

PS - Sorry to anyone who didn't like my "trumpet" statement. I get a little discouraged by the wet-blanketness of some of the posts here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dotson98 wrote:Finally, I bought a $15 stamp set and I stamp a 5 digit serial number onto each key.
Did it include the stamp "Do not duplicate"? That might slow things down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

RussellHltn wrote:Did it include the stamp "Do not duplicate"? That might slow things down.

The FM group has one, but doesn't use it that often. I don't think it's an issue of unauthorized duplication (all of the locksmiths around here are members and there just aren't that many Schlage keyways like this one that a young kid would have authorization to duplicate).

The bigger problem is the constant flow of key requests to the FM group. We've had three wards combined into two, and the meeting house assignments were shifted around. I've asked for members to turn in their keys for the old buildings. Boy, that's like pulling teeth.
duophoto

Try here

Post by duophoto »

Form sample is found here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Building_keys
duophoto

Post by duophoto »

Return to “Reports and Forms”