Former Member Still Receiving Calendar Reminders

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
techgy
Community Moderators

Former Member Still Receiving Calendar Reminders

Post by techgy »

I recently updated an event on the stake calendar and because the event was important, I checked the box that sends a notification Email to those who had signed up for reminders. A couple of days later I get a friendly "hello" from a former member of my ward who passed along a greeting as well as a copy of the event reminder.

Her membership records are no longer in my ward as she moved out months ago. I'm wondering why she received the calendar notice. Obviously, her Email address is still listed somewhere.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I seem to remember reading there are problems with member move-outs. Another ward has to "accept" their records before the change happens. You say they moved out months ago which is certainly long enough. But where they moved out to another ward, or to "address unknown"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The individual moved out of the stake to another stake, not to an unknown address.
She's since moved back to a neighboring stake. I checked with our ward clerk this morning and did a search of all stake MLS records (On-Line) and she's definitely not listed. The problem must be with SLC somewhere. Looks like a phone call may be necessary.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
chris.m.cook

Post by chris.m.cook »

techgy, were you able to resolve your problem. I recently had the same thing happen. I started receiving emails from people who have moved away from our stake (to other real addresses) more than 4 months ago. They can log into the calendar site, but none of our calendars are listed in their available calendars to subscribe or not subscribe from.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I can say ditto to this complaint. I have received several e-mails from confused members who moved out of our stake months ago. Their records are long gone, and I didn't have any explanation for them.
Dana in Omaha
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Just yesterday, I received e-mails from two former members of my stake, requesting the I remove them from my distribution list. I told them I had no control over how notifications for changed calendar events are sent to members. I wish I did, but I no longer have their records in my stake.
Dana in Omaha
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

We thought we had a good process for removing old subscriptions. It could be we've missed some scenarios. It may be helpful to have them log in to the calendar. If they haven't logged in since they moved, there is a chance their old subscriptions have not been removed.

For our next release I'll see if we have time to take a look at this code again to see if we've missed something.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

Had this same problem with people moving. I will recommend they try and log into their new ward calendar and see if that stops the notifications. The people who have received notices are members who do not use the calendar/directory system often, so they may not have tried to log on yet. The members I have had move into my ward haven't complained about receiving notices from their old unit, but most of them have accessed our calendar since they moved.
rdflamm

Any solutions found

Post by rdflamm »

We have the same situation with a member who moved out almost a year ago. They tried unsubscribing from all calendars (although our ward was not among the ones listed) and re-subscribing. They are active in the new ward and use that wards lds.org site. They only get notifications about RS and Stake YM.

Thanks for any help,
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdcr256 wrote:We thought we had a good process for removing old subscriptions. It could be we've missed some scenarios. It may be helpful to have them log in to the calendar. If they haven't logged in since they moved, there is a chance their old subscriptions have not been removed.

For our next release I'll see if we have time to take a look at this code again to see if we've missed something.

Are you talking here about logging into the calendar site at lds.org after they move? Is the code set up so that if they do that, the site will recognize their new ward and automatically unsubscribe them from their old calendars? I have a member who is still receiving on his iPod Touch every single calendar from our stake to which he was subscribed. He moved nine months ago.

I will query him and ask if he has logged into the actual lds.org/church-calendar site and report back. I thought he told me he had done that to try and unsubscribe from the old calendars, but they were not there, of course. But that may have been too soon after he moved or too long ago to have worked.

Return to “Calendar”