Separate Rolls For Divided Classes?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
susantea

Separate Rolls For Divided Classes?

Post by susantea »

I have looked through the forums and didn't find an answer to my question, but being new here, I may have over looked something or didn't dig deep enough. Sorry if it is already out there. :)

We have quite a large primary and have the most of the classes split into 2 or 3 different classes (CTR 4 A, CTR 4 B, CTR 4 C, etc). We have not been able to figure out how to do rolls for all of the split classes. Is there a way to do it? Also, how do I ad the teachers names to the rolls? I am also new at doing the rolls......
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

susantea wrote:We have quite a large primary and have the most of the classes split into 2 or 3 different classes (CTR 4 A, CTR 4 B, CTR 4 C, etc). We have not been able to figure out how to do rolls for all of the split classes. Is there a way to do it? Also, how do I ad the teachers names to the rolls? I am also new at doing the rolls......

You can find out how to split classes on the wiki at Splitting classes.

There is no way to put the teacher's name on the roll, except to change the name of the class. To change the name of the class, go to the Primary organization in MLS, and click on the blue underlined CTR 4, and change it to "CTR 4 - Sister Jones" or whatever you want.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

How about a different,but related scenario. Again, due to size, we often need to COMBINE classes (e.g. all CTRs, or all Valiants (which then sometimes get split boy/girl)). Is there a way to put them together, so five names are not spread over three rolls?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan.Richardson wrote:How about a different,but related scenario. Again, due to size, we often need to COMBINE classes (e.g. all CTRs, or all Valiants (which then sometimes get split boy/girl)). Is there a way to put them together, so five names are not spread over three rolls?
You can create classes with custom rules. For example, the CTR 4 class has a rule of:
  • Minimum age during year = 4
  • Maximum age at year end = 5
  • Sex = male or female
But you could create a CTR Boys class with rules:
  • Minimum age during year = 4
  • Maximum age at year end = 8
  • Sex = male
along with a similar CTR Girls class. Setting the rules properly makes sure that children will move into the proper classes automatically at year-end or when people move into the ward or when you do "Reset Organizations for Member" from their individual membership record. It's generally best to make sure that the rules don't overlap, so that if a 6-year-old girl moves into the ward, for example, she only gets assigned to one class.

You can also remove any classes, including built-in classes. As you remove a class, you are asked what class you want to move the members into.

Finally, you can go to any class and use Add Members to pick specific members to add.

With the proper combination of these operations, you should be able to set up the classes as you'd like. One final note -- you can't change the rules for a class directly once you've created a class, but an indirect way is explained on the wiki at Changing class rules.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

susantea wrote: Also, how do I ad the teachers names to the rolls? I am also new at doing the rolls......
I think you'll find adding the names to the rolls via the MLS computer is not really necessary. I'd just write the names on the top of the roll in pencil, or on the outside of the folder you keep it in....
DanRicks

More questions on splitting primary

Post by DanRicks »

aebrown wrote:You can find out how to split classes on the wiki at Splitting classes.

There is no way to put the teacher's name on the roll, except to change the name of the class. To change the name of the class, go to the Primary organization in MLS, and click on the blue underlined CTR 4, and change it to "CTR 4 - Sister Jones" or whatever you want.

I have manually split some of our primary classes, but all the children of the same age groups still show up on the rolls of both classes, but they are listed correctly when we print the class member lists. Is there a way to have the rolls print correctly?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DanRicks wrote:I have manually split some of our primary classes, but all the children of the same age groups still show up on the rolls of both classes, but they are listed correctly when we print the class member lists. Is there a way to have the rolls print correctly?
I'm guessing that you are printing rolls that include next year (that's pretty obvious when the current month is December). The challenge with split classes when you are dealing with rolls that go into the next year is that such rolls include all current members of the class for the 2011 months, and the children slated to come into the class for the months in 2012.

Unless you have carefully set up your class rules to determine automatically who goes into each class (and the only possible automatic split is boys in one class a nd girls in the other), every child who will be the appropriate age on January 1 will be moved into each of the split classes on that date. That is naturally the result of each child matching the rules for each split class (since the rules for each split class are the same). The rolls which include months in 2012 are simply reflecting what will happen with the class membership on January 1.

Because all of the children of that age will be moved to both classes on January 1, you'll have to manually remove the appropriate children from each class after that automatic move occurs. Unfortunately for 2012, that move won't happen until after midnight on the morning of January 1, which gives you precious little time to make the moves and print the rolls before church starts on Sunday, January 1.

But there's a good chance you'll be up in the wee hours of January 1 (if you are celebrating the arrival of the new year), and you can go to the church and do your MLS work right after your New Years Party. :)
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

The "splitting classes" section of the wiki says "You can split a Primary or Sunday School class..." Can that be done for a YW class too? We have 20+ beehives and are splitting them into beehive-12 and beehive-13 and will have two class presidencies. I had to add custom callings to MLS for the new class' presidency. Is there a "split class" link (as mentioned in the wiki) for the YW classes? (I'm not at the church computer so I can't tell if that exists in MLS at the moment.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sasgrw wrote:The "splitting classes" section of the wiki says "You can split a Primary or Sunday School class..." Can that be done for a YW class too? We have 20+ beehives and are splitting them into beehive-12 and beehive-13 and will have two class presidencies. I had to add custom callings to MLS for the new class' presidency. Is there a "split class" link (as mentioned in the wiki) for the YW classes? (I'm not at the church computer so I can't tell if that exists in MLS at the moment.)
Yes, that can be done, but the terminology is a bit different. You go to Organizations > Beehive and the click the "Add Class" button. Then after you've added the class (which will be called "Beehive 2"), you can add members to it; if any of those YW were in Beehive 1, they will automatically be removed from that class as they are added to Beehive 2.

The one awkward issue about having two Beehive classes (or two Deacons quorums) is that when a girl turns 12 (or when a 12- or 13-year-old girl moves into the ward), she will automatically be added to both classes. So you just have to be aware of that and remove her from whatever class she is not supposed to be in. There's no way to set class rules so that one class has 12-year-olds, and the other has 13-year-olds.

Each of the classes has its own class presidency, which will have standard callings (you don't need the custom callings you referred to). The Officers Sustained Form used at ward conference doesn't support multiple quorums or classes, but other than that, the separate leadership should work fine.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Thanks, I'll check it out. We had ward conference yesterday so I just hand wrote the other class presidency on the form.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”