Adobe Reader will not allow license agreement offline

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
cdwilliams-p40

Adobe Reader will not allow license agreement offline

Post by cdwilliams-p40 »

I cannot use Adobe Reader 8.1.x on our system because it tries to verify the license agreement online, and, of course, there is no live connection outside of the mls connection.

Anybody have any ideas about how to get around this?
PhillipsCJ

alternative software

Post by PhillipsCJ »

If you just need to open PDF documents, you may want to consider a freeware alternative such as Foxit Reader:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

It loks like it is also available as a portable app that you can run off of a USB stick:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxitpelauncher/
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

cdwilliams wrote:I cannot use Adobe Reader 8.1.x on our system because it tries to verify the license agreement online, and, of course, there is no live connection outside of the mls connection.

Anybody have any ideas about how to get around this?
I wonder if all that needs to happen is for it to verify the license one time. If that were the case, and if there were some way to hook the machine to the Internet for that one time check, I wonder if the problem would go away?

Tom
SmithGW

Adobe Reader

Post by SmithGW »

Your ward or stake computer should have Adobe Reader 7.0 as part of its installation. I know this was included with the new desktop 5.5 installation. This should work fine for any of the PDFs, etc., that are used with the Church software. I guess the question is do you really need to upgrade to 8.1?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

smithgw wrote:I guess the question is do you really need to upgrade to 8.1?
I use 8.1 at home and I like the search features and overall look 'n feel better. Besides, several major security holes have been plugged with the newer versions. (Of course, if the PC isn't tied to the internet, the latter is more or less moot.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Mikerowaved wrote:I use 8.1 at home and I like the search features and overall look 'n feel better. Besides, several major security holes have been plugged with the newer versions. (Of course, if the PC isn't tied to the internet, the latter is more or less moot.)
My personal opinion is that the latest version has proved more stable and loads quicker.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cdwilliams wrote:I cannot use Adobe Reader 8.1.x on our system because it tries to verify the license agreement online, and, of course, there is no live connection outside of the mls connection.
I'll have to go and look at what version we're running on our machines. I remember having to "agree" to Adobe during install so as to not bother others. I don't remember any off-line issues.
cdwilliams-p40

I would love to go back to 7.0

Post by cdwilliams-p40 »

smithgw wrote:Your ward or stake computer should have Adobe Reader 7.0 as part of its installation. I know this was included with the new desktop 5.5 installation. This should work fine for any of the PDFs, etc., that are used with the Church software. I guess the question is do you really need to upgrade to 8.1?

I suppose the upgrade to 8.1 is nice, but that really isn't why I put it on. For some reason I had thought Adobe wasn't on there at all after our Stake Clerk re-did all of our software.

Also, I went back to the MLS Downloads, and they include 8.1 also, which made me even more curious as to why that is there if the license agreement cannot even be accepted offline.

Are there any ward MLS computers out there that HAVE high speed internet? None in our Stake do, and I have been led to believe that it is current church policy to only use dial-up for transmissions in ward houses.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

cdwilliams wrote:Are there any ward MLS computers out there that HAVE high speed internet? None in our Stake do, and I have been led to believe that it is current church policy to only use dial-up for transmissions in ward houses.
Dialup is still the standard to which all MLS computers are held at the moment. However, there is some pilot testing going on: [thread=792]Internet Connection for MLS[/thread]
cdwilliams-p40

I found Adobe 7.0.9 on the Adobe Site

Post by cdwilliams-p40 »

I started hunting around and found Adobe Reader 7.0.9 on the Adobe website. I will remove the 8.1.1 and put this back on, and see how it goes.

Return to “Clerk Computers”