MLS not printing

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jaws78

MLS not printing

Post by jaws78 »

I have a problem with our new printer. I am able to print PDF documents, but whenever I select something from MLS to print all I get is blank pages. The printer was installed correctly and the name of the printer even shows when I select the print icon, it's just not printing anything.

Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Can you print from MLS to a PDF? Is the PDF ok?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jaws78

Post by jaws78 »

How do you print to PDF. Surely it only prints in one version. Please let me know how this is done. I need to print out a 39 page address list for the YSA senior couple in our stake! I don't think they want to handwrite the whole document!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jaws78 wrote:How do you print to PDF.

To print to PDF, you install a PDF print driver such as CutePDF. Printing to such a PDF printer can be helpful in troubleshooting, because if you can successfully print to PDF, then the application that is printing is probably fine, and the problem is more likely with the print driver for the actual printer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I had assumed you had CutePDF installed on the PC. It is part of the utilities that can be found at mls.lds.org.

I think it's worth pointing out that MLS frequently prints as a graphic image - not as text. As such, it can put a different demand on the printer then other
programs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

If you just need an address directory you can print one at home (or web browser at unit) using the online LDS.org tools also.

I actually like PDFCreator more than CutePDF because it has an easier to use save dialog.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:I actually like PDFCreator more than CutePDF because it has an easier to use save dialog.

I noticed a large number of negative reviews. It seems there's a disruptive toolbar that's been added to the app and attempts to avoid it are not always successful.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rbeede wrote:I actually like PDFCreator more than CutePDF because it has an easier to use save dialog.

I guess we have different opinions. The CutePDF save dialog is straightforward -- just save the file. The PDFCreator save dialog is much more complicated. It's more powerful, with options to combine print jobs into a single PDF, but that complexity is confusing for some people. And I've also been annoyed by the toolbar that PDFCreator tries to install.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”