marriage info and household record problem

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jayriggity

marriage info and household record problem

Post by jayriggity »

I have two issues that must be related somehow:

1. Husband and wife are both members. Each has a record in our ward. Wife's record shows a spouse name and marriage date, etc... All marital information is correct. But, her husband's name is not a hyperlink to the membership record for her husband. It's the husband's name, but it's not actually linked. If I click to "add the spouse to household," MLS creates a temporary record with the husband's name, leaving me with two husband records.

Meanwhile, husband's record does not show that he is married to wife.

The only thing i can think to do is to "cancel" the marriage on wife's record, then enter the marriage info again. But i don't want to do that unless necessary. Any ideas?

2. On wife's individual record, it shows that she is a member of husband's household. But, when I click on the household name, it takes me to husband's household... but wife's name is not listed as a household member. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First off, marriage and households are two completely different things.

What I'd try to do is to marry the husband to his wife. Hopefully that will update the wife's record and all will be OK. The other route would be to do a Special Request on the wife's record and to explain the problem and supply the membership number of the husband.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jayriggity wrote:It's the husband's name, but it's not actually linked.
In the wife's record, is the husband's record number correctly entered; does it match the number in the husband's membership record?
jayriggity wrote:Meanwhile, husband's record does not show that he is married to wife.
Create or add the marriage information for the wife to the husband's record. Make sure the wife's record number is correctly entered.

After correcting the marriage information in one or both individual records the household issue should correct itself.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Create or add the marriage information for the wife to the husband's record.

I suspect that to be able to do that, he'll have to terminate the marriage first. That's why I suggested updating the husband's record. The computer may choke when it tries to marry the wife who is already married, but it's worth a shot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jayriggity

Post by jayriggity »

Yes, when I try to marry the husband to the wife, I can't do it, bc the wife is already married.

Thanks everyone for the ideas (and keep them coming if you have them). I'll try a few more when I'm back at the building and I'll report back here.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jayriggity wrote:Yes, when I try to marry the husband to the wife, I can't do it, bc the wife is already married.

Thanks everyone for the ideas (and keep them coming if you have them). I'll try a few more when I'm back at the building and I'll report back here.

It won't let you select the wife from the pick list because she's married but did you try just typing her information manually? I had a situation where the information for a newly married couple didn't get linked up on the wife (who was already in our ward before the marriage) and didn't get recorded at all on the husband before his record was sent to our ward. If I remember right I recorded the information manually on the husband's record and a few days later they were both linked up to each other.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I like to start on problems like these by PRINTING the MEMBERSHIP (not Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS)) of each person involved. The printed membership shows all the Membership Record Numbers (MRN) for the related individuals (parents, spouse, children), IOS printouts do not. This also gives you a printed record of where you started.

Examine each printed membership record and compare the MRN's with the other records for the family.
In this case, if the wife's membership record shows that her spouse is a member, then his MRN on her record should match his MRN on his record. If they don't match, then she's married to the wrong man, or you have the wrong man's membership.
If you have the correct memberships (IOS data verified with members) for the husband and wife, but the spouse info is wrong then I'd recommend sending a message to Local Unit Support through MLS and explain what needs to be corrected.
If you "terminate the marriage" in MLS so you can add the correct marriage, then she will end up with a "Prior Spouse" in the system at headquarters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rontilby wrote:In this case, if the wife's membership record shows that her spouse is a member, then his MRN on her record should match his MRN on his record. If they don't match, then she's married to the wrong man, or you have the wrong man's membership.
Or the husband has a duplicate record.

Return to “Membership Help”