Household vs Household Member email address

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Household vs Household Member email address

Post by zaneclark »

If an email address is only listed under the Household Member and not under the Household Information, will they still get an email sent from the Leader and Clerk Resources link? i was assuming that if the member had an email listed on the directory, they would receive broadcast emails, but now I am not sure this is happening.
It looks like I am going to have to edit each entry in the directory and place one of the member email addresses in the Household Information....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:If an email address is only listed under the Household Member and not under the Household Information, will they still get an email sent from the Leader and Clerk Resources link? i was assuming that if the member had an email listed on the directory, they would receive broadcast emails, but now I am not sure this is happening.
It looks like I am going to have to edit each entry in the directory and place one of the member email addresses in the Household Information....
It all depends on who the recipients are. If you are sending to individuals, which is what happens when you send a message to leaders using the groups under "Leaders", then the individual email address is used. If you send a message to households, then the household address is used.

If you are sending to households, and a household has no email address defined, then it makes sense that no email would be sent -- the system can't guess which individual to send to.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:If you are sending to households, and a household has no email address defined, then it makes sense that no email would be sent -- the system can't guess which individual to send to.
This is the way we want it in our household.
zaneclark wrote:It looks like I am going to have to edit each entry in the directory and place one of the member email addresses in the Household Information....
I am guessing that if you do that you can expect complaints from those irritated to find that you have unilaterally decided who's e-mail address to use for the household. In other cases you will find households editing your change back to the way they want it. If I found out that the clerk had done this for my household he would hear about it but only after I changed the houselhold e-mail address back to empty or null.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jdlessley wrote:I am guessing that if you do that you can expect complaints from those irritated to find that you have unilaterally decided who's e-mail address to use for the household. In other cases you will find households editing your change back to the way they want it. If I found out that the clerk had done this for my household he would hear about it but only after I changed the houselhold e-mail address back to empty or null.

I agree. It is good that the website honors the preferences of members, who may choose not to have a "household" email address. Note that in MLS, there is an apparent bug(or misguided "feature?") that overrides those preferences, as well as the needs of leaders and clerks using MLS exports and reports, by concocting a surrogate "household" email and phone when there is none entered. The website method is correct.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

aebrown wrote:It all depends on who the recipients are. If you are sending to individuals, which is what happens when you send a message to leaders using the groups under "Leaders", then the individual email address is used. If you send a message to households, then the household address is used.

Can you clarify that a bit? If I go to 'send a message' (from clerk resources) and expand 'members' and choose 'relief society members', is the household address used if a personal address doesn't exist?

I sent a note recently for the RS Pres and she said one particular member didn't get the note. I looked up their info and it shows a household email but not a personal email so it appears that the household address isn't being used.

However, if I go to membership > member list (again, under clerk resources) and change 'list by' to 'relief society', if I scroll down to the sister in question, it shows the household address in the email column.

So this is puzzling. When I view the list of sisters, it appears to be using the household address but when I actually send the note, it doesn't use it.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

sasgrw wrote:Can you clarify that a bit? If I go to 'send a message' (from clerk resources) and expand 'members' and choose 'relief society members', is the household address used if a personal address doesn't exist?

I sent a note recently for the RS Pres and she said one particular member didn't get the note. I looked up their info and it shows a household email but not a personal email so it appears that the household address isn't being used.

However, if I go to membership > member list (again, under clerk resources) and change 'list by' to 'relief society', if I scroll down to the sister in question, it shows the household address in the email column.

So this is puzzling. When I view the list of sisters, it appears to be using the household address but when I actually send the note, it doesn't use it.

My bad. I should have had the RS Pres double check on this and I should have looked into it further before posting. I tried sending another note to all the RS sisters and when I look at the BCC field, it does indeed list the sister that supposedly didn't get the email using the household email address. The household address is the same as the husband's email address so he got the RS note. Apparently there was a lack of communication between the husband and the wife :-)
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

FYI, the messaging app (aka the 'Send a Message' button, or the messaging function of the Leader and Clerk Resources app) is being reworked currently. So now is a great time to voice your opinion on how it should work.

(Note that just because you've shared an opinion does not mean we'll follow it. We still need to follow the policies we are given. But it is worthwhile to get feedback and try to align both to policy and general consensus as much as possible.)
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

jdcr256 wrote:FYI, the messaging app (aka the 'Send a Message' button, or the messaging function of the Leader and Clerk Resources app) is being reworked currently. So now is a great time to voice your opinion on how it should work.

(Note that just because you've shared an opinion does not mean we'll follow it. We still need to follow the policies we are given. But it is worthwhile to get feedback and try to align both to policy and general consensus as much as possible.)

Where do we sent comments? Via this forum (and this message)?
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

sasgrw wrote:Where do we sent comments? Via this forum (and this message)?

Yep, here is fine.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

On the old ward website, there was more flexibility as to who could post emails to the ward. The RS Pres could send a note to all sisters, the primary pres could send a note to all parents, etc. On the new site, only the bishopric or ward clerk can send a note. Will that be updated with the upcoming changes? Will be able to grant some kind of admin rights to other people for posting emails? Similar to the calendar where we can add 'view and edit' rights to certain callings.

Caveat, I'm a new ward clerk (3 weeks) and haven't held this calling before, so I may not be absolutely correct in my statement above, but I think it's pretty close.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”