Crt or Flat screens

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
farwest

Crt or Flat screens

Post by farwest »

Just wondering about about crt's or flat screens on replacement computers. We received new computers but no monitors with any of them. Sure would of been nice to get rid of the big old crt monitors they sure do take up a lot of space. Is there a policy on replacement of monitors?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

farwest wrote:Is there a policy on replacement of monitors?

In our area, when the current monitor fails, the FM group replaces it. The last few have been replaced with flat screens.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think that falls to the budget of the FM Group. If they're poor, they may replace only the CPU. If they're doing well, they may replace the whole thing. I've still got units out there with HP 1200 printers. Yet the last few new computers came with printers and monitors.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:Yet the last few new computers came with printers and monitors.
All of our new computers came with flat monitors with an add-on speaker strip that attached just below the bottom edge. As far as printers, most had been replaced already. There were 2 units still using the HP1100's. These printers don't have USB connectivity and the new PCs don't have a parallel port. Rather than buying a USB to parallel adapter, the FM group (thankfully) opted to replace the printers. One unit really wanted/needed an all-in-one laser printer to make copies with, so they bought their own. The other unit received the current standard issue laser printer from the FM folks.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

The only item on a regular replacement schedule is the computer itself which is generally replaced every 5 years. Monitors and printers are only replaced as needed, usually when they break or you specifically request a replacement. You usually won't be able to request something mid-year if it isn't broken due to the fact that the budget was already set for the year. So have your STS request new monitors when they submit their list of needed items for the next year.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Our FMG just said that as the PCs get replaced the existing 15" LCDs will be swapped out for 19" models that are more compatible with auxiliary ocular enhancements of the chronologically gifted.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

aclawson wrote:...that are more compatible with auxiliary ocular enhancements of the chronologically gifted.

As one who is starting to fit that category of eyesight, I appreciated (and got a good chuckle from) your detailed technical definition.
JLR
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

aclawson wrote:with auxiliary ocular enhancements of the chronologically gifted.

I, too, got a good chuckle out of the definition. I'm in that group! The larger monitor is so much better!

Return to “Clerk Computers”