WP7 Gospel Library Project

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
timheuer

WP7 Gospel Library Project

Post by timheuer »

I don't see the WP7 app project listed anymore in the project list to join...where is it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

timheuer wrote:I don't see the WP7 app project listed anymore in the project list to join...where is it?
The wiki page for that project was edited a couple of weeks ago to add the notice: "This project has been inactivated while the Church determines what next steps to take with this application." So it makes sense that it would not be included on the list of projects to join at this time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
timheuer

Post by timheuer »

Um, okay-- thanks didn't see that...

Now that begs the question -- why was the project deactivated? I'm confused...it's released, so why not keep the project going?

Looking at the other projects I see that webOS projects are active?!?!
seanclem

Post by seanclem »

I have been wondering the same thing.

I was going to sign up for the project and couldn't find any information other than it was deactivated which doesn't make sense to me.
cmaxo

Wondering the same

Post by cmaxo »

I was talking to a gentleman in church today about the upcoming tech conference and decided to see what's going on. Pretty cool that we have this resource, I only wish I'd known sooner. I registered for the conference and was looking to get involved with both the gospel library and Mormon channel projects for wp7.

I'd love to help out and contribute. Any word on what's going on with these projects? Will there be some sessions dedicated to wp7/8 at the upcoming tech conf?

Thanks.
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

I've been involved with the Windows mobile projects from early on, and the Church has deactivated all of them (if I'm not mistaken). What this really means is that the project does not have a dedicated Church employee to manage community development efforts. It also means the project is not available to the general community, but only to those who were already project members before deactivation. The deactivation is probably because the community contribution efforts for the Windows mobile projects have been very low. If you have repository access, the Windows mobile projects are still available (if you're interested in developing for this platform). As for Windows 8, Gospel Library is currently being developed by the Church, and I'm working on LDS Tools. Slow going, but it's happening.
cmaxo

Post by cmaxo »

Thanks for the info Shane. Will anyone be talking about windows phone at the LDS tech conference this week? Is there anyone in particular that I should seek out or an email group I can contact. I'd love to get involved in this project if there's any way to do so.

I realize wp7 isn't the most popular platform yet but I believe with the upcoming lumia phone in the US and the Nokia brand recognition world wide that we'll see a resurgence of interest. I think it would be great to have a functioning if small team ready to build out the feature set for this platform as it grows. Of course, that may all be a pipe dream. :) but, it's one I have from time to time and I really like wp7. Wp8 should be a big step forward.

Thanks again,
Corey
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cmaxo wrote:I believe with the upcoming lumia phone in the US and the Nokia brand recognition world wide that we'll see a resurgence of interest.

It's not just "upcoming"; the Nokia Lumia 710 Windows Phone has been available from T-Mobile for over 2 months now. My daughter has one and she likes it a lot.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

@cmaxo - I realize I'm a "day late, dollar short" but I wasn't involved in the conference this year. Given the inactive status for the Windows projects, I've been working off to the side. The Church is really doing most of the work on these projects right now. As for joining any WP7 efforts, I sent an email to the PM for these projects. It'll be up to him as to what you can do at this point.

Return to “Gospel Library”