Technology to accommodate deaf unit using ASL

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
davidltuck

Technology to accommodate deaf unit using ASL

Post by davidltuck »

I have seen a signing ward (comprising mostly deaf members) in Provo that had cameras focused on the podium, sacrament table, bishopric, interpreter, etc. and where video was displayed on monitors visible to and controlled by the bishopric. This was so that the bishop (ASL speaking deaf) on the stand could see the signer at the podium "face on" and therefore be able to see/hear the body and hands of the signer and understand what was being signed/said by them.

I have a deaf unit in my stake where no such accommodations are provided. The branch presidency must sit sideways to the podium so that they can see the side of the signer. This arrangement does not allow the priesthood authority to see the ASL sign language sufficiently. My FM group simply has not attempted to accomodate this need. I am ready to hire a contractor and bypass the FM group. Can anyone advise on church policy to make this happen quickly? We have been waiting a year for this solution.
DayKR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Sign Language Wards and Branches

Post by DayKR »

David,
I was forwarded your discussion on LDS Tech. I am the manager of ASL Translation at church headquarters. Designated SL Wards and Branch should have the technology they need to be able to see clearly. Your Stake President should contact the Area Facilities Management Department to make the request. If that is not successful, he could also go directly to the Facilites Management here at Headquarters and contact Glen Meyer, Richard Rawlinson. They are aware of SL needs in buildings and have been very helpful in the past. A camera at the back of the chapel with monitors behind the pulpit should be standard equipment in buildings with SL wards/branches.
If you would let me know your ward and stake I can work on it from my end.
Kimberly Day daykr@ldschurch.org
MicDaddy

Post by MicDaddy »

I am a member of a SL ward in Colorado. It is funny that I just asked our Bishop about adding video cameras for our ward and this posting was just shown to me. We have fairly small deaf attendance (10 people, mostly adults), but our Bishopbric are all hearing.

Our concern was allowing the deaf members with family to participate when the children require their attention outside of the chapel. Specifically in the mother's lounge and in the foyer. Giving them visibility to the interpreters and the podium.

Our other proposal was to provide an induction loop so those who are hard of hearing could use their hearing aids to be able to hear the speaker more clearly.

Is there any standard church policy regarding this?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

MicDaddy wrote:I am a member of a SL ward in Colorado. It is funny that I just asked our Bishop about adding video cameras for our ward and this posting was just shown to me. We have fairly small deaf attendance (10 people, mostly adults), but our Bishopbric are all hearing.

Our concern was allowing the deaf members with family to participate when the children require their attention outside of the chapel. Specifically in the mother's lounge and in the foyer. Giving them visibility to the interpreters and the podium.

Our other proposal was to provide an induction loop so those who are hard of hearing could use their hearing aids to be able to hear the speaker more clearly.

Is there any standard church policy regarding this?
I suggest that you contact the stake and have them ask the local FM (Facilities Management) group. The FM group is responsible for the care of the facilities and they would most likely be involved in any such project and would have knowledge of anything that's available.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MicDaddy wrote:Our other proposal was to provide an induction loop so those who are hard of hearing could use their hearing aids to be able to hear the speaker more clearly.

The church already has systems in place for the hard of hearing. From what I've seen, transmitters are installed in the chapel sound system (as part of a normal install) and receivers can be ordered via the FM group. By default, the receiver has a ear piece, but there is an induction loop option as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mwjarvis

Technology to accommodate hard of hearing.

Post by mwjarvis »

The Comtek system available in many chapels works well--in the chapel--for those that have been given access to a Comtek receiver. I'm sure that there are many others who could benefit but who are not aware of the option or whose leaders are not aware of the extent of their disability.
But what about Sunday School, Relief society, and Priesthood? My wife uses a Comtek unit in the chapel and it works well--for meetings there. She sits in the front row in Sunday School and can usually hear at least some of what the teacher is saying (when he remembers to talk louder than normal), but totally misses comments by class members. Relief Society is pretty much a loss as the RS president talks fast and not very loudly, as do some of the teachers. The same comment about member comments also applies there also. It should be possible to install a low powered hearing loop in at least one of the rooms, with one mic for the person in front and a roving mic for members. Yes, it would be a small inconvenience to pass the roving mic around, but she is not the only person who would benefit from this capability. As it is, meetings other than in the chapel tend to be pretty much a loss.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”