Which Platform for scripture study ?

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
joernborup

Which Platform for scripture study ?

Post by joernborup »

(repost - from 'General' )
Hi Community - Hope this is the right place...

My Book of Mormon has fallen apart. So I have to get a new one, and all my notes will be gone. Guess that the feature of that technology (it could all so have been, stolen, lost, burned, misplaced...).

Guess it is time for a 'paradigm shift', and move my testimony to the 'cloud'. I have been playing around with the 'LDS Gospel Library', and can see it sync's with my android phone. looks fine (Would love to see the notes - maybe at the side, like hand written notes). And it looks like, it is possible to take a XML backup. This looks very nice - Some clever people that has been working.

Now, my old HTC Desire, has a to small screen to do real scripture study. So I need a new gadget - a Gospel gadget (wife can't say no, to that ;-). I have been looking at the Ipad (can all ready hear the apple chains rattle..), but recently there has also come a few good android tablets (Asus, samsung,..) - they seem to cost the same as the apple.

So the question is really, which 'Gospel Library' App/Platform (Android or Apple) is going to be the most feature rich, which is going to be first ???
It looks like, that today, the apple version has more features (ie. the notebook), but will this change ?.

Please share you comments.

Regards Jørn Borup
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

You may also wish to try the Amazon Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/LDS-Scriptures-Co ... B005N0LLDW) as you can get it much cheaper.
joernborup

Post by joernborup »

What you are linking to, isn't that an APP. So it is an alternative to 'LDS Gospel Library' - rigth?
I do like the idear, that using 'LDS Gospel Library', that you can access your notes from Web, smartphone, tablets... and you have access to you latest notes.
But the Amazon Fire Tablet, migth be a cheap alternative for a Ipad/AndroidTAblet, and then run 'LDS Gospel Library' on it. Is that possible ?
/Regards jørn Borup
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

It is an ebook. You make annotations on your Kindle so your notes are on the Kindle. The Kindle has automatic backup of your annotations too.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

There are some very good deals to be had on the iPad 2. I would vote that direction as it is the most popular tablet and the Church develops for iOS seemingly quicker than other platforms. I'm sure others will disagree however. Additionally, the software available for it on iTunes App store is huge. I do all my scripture study now on my iPhone or from my computer on lds.org. I wouldn't trade the new Study Notebook feature for all the skinny scripture margins in the world. It is fantastic!
joernborup

Post by joernborup »

Hi Brother MPrusse....
Thanks for responding. When you have some time, I would love to hear, how you use the 'online scriptures/LDS Gospel Library' to study. You have the app open and read and write notes.
But do you use other books, in same app or in different apps ? is it easy to jump back and forth ? (never touched an Ipad...).
Do you use different 'underline' colours ? - Do you have a system here.
Thanks
Jørn Borup
butlerrl

Post by butlerrl »

I am currently using an Asus Transformer with the added keyboard dock. It is simply marvelous to do my scripture study on. I set bookmarks, write 'notes in the margin', and even put links to conference talks that fit the scripture being read. There are a few features on the ipad not currently available for the Android version, but they are definitely on their way. Also, having the dockable keyboard turns my tablet into a touchscreen Android laptop. I get well over 20 hours battery, have a full keyboard so I can do a lot of typing, and I thoroughly enjoy it.
You could also get the Kindle Fire. It is a $200 7' tablet that has the Church's Gospel Library app available for it as well. I would suggest, if there is one close, going to a Best Buy or other electronics store and seeing if 7" or 10" is what you want in a tablet. If you are okay with the 7" then the Kindle Fire is a no-brainer. If you would prefer 10", I highly recommend the Transfomer. Hope this helps.
joernborup

Post by joernborup »

Thanks. Nice to hear, that it also works with an android tablet.

/Jørn

Return to “Gospel Library”