Does MLS retain info on past marriages of a spouse?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cnilsson

Does MLS retain info on past marriages of a spouse?

Post by cnilsson »

Hi, I'm a new asst. Ward Clerk over membership and I've encountered a situation that I need some help with. A couple in my ward is having a child sealed to them next month. The child is from the husband's prior marriage. The wife had a prior temple marriage cancelled. Now someone from the temple in which the sealing is to take place has told them that the wife's prior marriage info has to be entered in MLS in order for them to continue but I can't figure out where that info would go. I know marriage info can be cancelled in MLS and if so I wouldn't think that it would be needed. Any ideas? Is the temple person incorrect? Thanks in advance for any help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The only time I've seen MLS have "prior marriage" information is in the case of someone being sealed to someone who is dead.

Since the wife's prior sealing has been canceled, I don't know why that has any bearing on anything the temple needs to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

MLS only has information for the current spouse. Former spouse information is not available in the local MLS nor can it be entered into local MLS. Church headquarters maintains further record information not available in MLS. That is where the temple workers or the bishop would get any information they need.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greggo

Post by greggo »

cnilsson wrote:Now someone from the temple in which the sealing is to take place has told them that the wife's prior marriage info has to be entered in MLS in order for them to continue
It would be helpful to know what specific info the temple is saying they need and why.
cnilsson

Thanks!

Post by cnilsson »

Thank you all for your help. I tend to believe that information given to this couple was incorrect. If I find out anything different, I'll post it in this thread.

Return to “Membership Help”