UK Satellite Audio Settings gone wrong - help

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
sphester

UK Satellite Audio Settings gone wrong - help

Post by sphester »

We had to power down our satellite unit this evening to move it to better location. When it came back on all seemed mostly fine except that one of the audio output was not working. So i enabled this via the menu but then after spending some 2 hours I finally gave up trying to figure it out how to get the right audio channel.

I now have audio 1 playing English sound but every 30 seconds or so it plays a voice saying German or some other language depending on what audio channel I select. (Currently on a34)

On Audio 2 the sound plays in English with no voice overs telling me the language. What is odd is this audio output is also set to a34.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help?

The receiver model and setting are below.

In the small window it scrolls through the following
SN294316
5.184mb
FEC 1/2
RF 43

Model is Wegener UNity550-2

The only thing changed was setting audio 2 to be enabled as it was not on. I also changed it to play stereo as it was set to left only. But changing this back did not seem to help

So now I have both audio outputs enabled via the menu but need to get the language voice over off some how.

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would contact satellite support. They can fix that by sending the setup over the air. In fact, I believe they resend it periodically, so you need to have it set right in their computers or you're going to be in for a surprise when it reverts back just before a broadcast.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sphester

Post by sphester »

RussellHltn wrote:I would contact satellite support. They can fix that by sending the setup over the air. In fact, I believe they resend it periodically, so you need to have it set right in their computers or you're going to be in for a surprise when it reverts back just before a broadcast.

I gave them a call just now and they have sent the setting out over the air as you said. Will test it when I'm there again on Thursday evening.

Thanks
sphester

Post by sphester »

Today I was told by our audio support people in the UK (I had queried the same issue with them) that one of the audio output feeds on the back always plays the language voice over and this can't be stopped. Does this seem right? Tried to Google this and work it out but no joy.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote:Today I was told by our audio support people in the UK (I had queried the same issue with them) that one of the audio output feeds on the back always plays the language voice over and this can't be stopped. Does this seem right? Tried to Google this and work it out but no joy.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that a foreign voice is periodically broadcast over the transmission you happening to be listening to.

When the actual broadcast is taking place you will find that the voice-over ceases. The idea of this voice-over is to ensure you can receive the correct language on a particular channel. We have a large Portuguese contingent in our Ward and this identification makes sure the correct channel carrying Portuguese is available.

If I've misunderstood your query, please accept my apologies.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:When the actual broadcast is taking place you will find that the voice-over ceases. The idea of this voice-over is to ensure you can receive the correct language on a particular channel. We have a large Portuguese contingent in our Ward and this identification makes sure the correct channel carrying Portuguese is available.

Right. Unless there is a church broadcast going on, they set the feed to BYU-TV. BYU-TV doesn't have all those languages. So it has the "voice ID" so you can make sure you're connected to the right audio channel. IIRC, the voice ID continues for the re-broadcasts countdown as well. You won't hear the actual language until the broadcast actually starts.

As long as you are hearing the right language on the right outputs, I wouldn't worry about it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Biggles,

That's about right however the voice over is not foreign it is in English, so it says German or Italian in English.

The chap at the satellite helpdesk last night said he has made sure all channels are in English for our unit so if the voice over stops once the broadcast starts I should be fine. I only ask as this audio feed is going to the CDR recorder for recording and I don't want the voice over on the recording.

Also I was very stuck by the fact the voice over was only on of the audio output channels on the back of the unit. I suppose with the 2 audio this mean you can effective play the broadcast in 2 separate languages?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sphester wrote:The chap at the satellite helpdesk last night said he has made sure all channels are in English for our unit so if the voice over stops once the broadcast starts I should be fine. I only ask as this audio feed is going to the CDR recorder for recording and I don't want the voice over on the recording.
It will stop when the actual broadcast begins.
sphester wrote:Also I was very stuck by the fact the voice over was only on of the audio output channels on the back of the unit. I suppose with the 2 audio this mean you can effective play the broadcast in 2 separate languages?

The "main" English channel doesn't have the voice over.

The audio is broadcast as a stereo pair. Typically, this means that the left is one channel and the right is another one. However CHQ can set both outputs to one channel.

sphester

Post by sphester »

Went to the chapel and it looks to be all sorted what every the support guy sent over the air has done the trick.

Back up and running with the DVD recorder all plumbed in. Whats nice now is I've been able to sort all the cables and set it all up correctly. Previously if you wanted to watch a DVD you had to physically swap the audio cables.

Thanks for all comments and help.

Return to “Satellite”