Editing multiple profile fields

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
chris_hazeldine

Editing multiple profile fields

Post by chris_hazeldine »

I note that if I try to edit an individual that has no email/phone listed. I can successfully add only 1 new item. When I try to add the second I guess it sees the other field as blank and I lose the new content I just added.

Suggest that there should be a save that covers both fields rather than it being down to the individual entry like it was in the 1.0 version. I think that I need to modify 1 field today and wait the 24hrs for the other, which doesn't seem very efficient a way to manage information updates online.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

chris_hazeldine wrote:I note that if I try to edit an individual that has no email/phone listed. I can successfully add only 1 new item. When I try to add the second I guess it sees the other field as blank and I lose the new content I just added.
Did you read the notice that popped up after you added the telephone number or e-mail address?
Please allow up to 24 hours for your phone and email changes to become effective. This change will take precedence over any other pending changes. Any changes to your privacy settings will become effective immediately. Please note that all privacy changes are reflected in your calendar and map also.
Your change was accepted. Each data field is processed separately. After the data is entered the pop-up information is displayed for that field to let you know your change has been accepted. The data will not appear on the directory for up to 24 hours. That is what is meant by becoming effective. That is why it appears the new data was not accepted. It is not displayed because it has not been processed through the system.

I guess the pop-up message could be a bit clearer in saying the change was accepted but will not be displayed...
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
chris_hazeldine

As soon as I enter the new information if can be seen in the user detail pop up in the MLS online screen - ie when you click on a name and a summary pops out.

So if I understand you correctly - apologies as I am having trouble getting the exact response. You have said that each field is processed separately, but you also say that (again if I get you) that submitting an additional request will take precedence over the pending change submitted earlier but not yet passed through the 24hr period?

Again the old system would manage multiple changes to content before selecting the save function, so just trying to understand if I am doing something wrong of it is by design that you can only update a single field every 24hrs.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

chris_hazeldine wrote:As soon as I enter the new information if can be seen in the user detail pop up in the MLS online screen - ie when you click on a name and a summary pops out.
I am getting that we may be talking about two different things. You have posted to the LDS.ORG online Directory forum. Therefore I assumed you were talking about the LDS.ORG online directory and editing telephone and e-mail address information there. Now you mention the MLS online screen. Are you talking about the LDS.ORG online directory or MLS? Until I understand what program you are dealing with any responses may only add further confusion.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I think I may have finally figured out what you are saying. Even after mentioning MLS I think you are referring to the LDS.ORG directory.
chris_hazeldine wrote:As soon as I enter the new information if can be seen in the user detail pop up in the MLS online screen - ie when you click on a name and a summary pops out.
Essentially that is correct. When the "Households" menu item in the left column pane is selected the middle column pane displays household name filter results. The right column pane will display the household data once a household is selected in the middle "Filter Results" pane.
chris_hazeldine wrote:So if I understand you correctly - apologies as I am having trouble getting the exact response. You have said that each field is processed separately...
That is correct. Only one data field can be added/edited at time. When no data exists for a telephone number an "Add a phone number" link is displayed; likewise an "Add an e-mail" link is displayed when there is no e-mail address. Otherwise an "Edit" link is displayed next to the editable data. Clinking an edit link pops up an edit dialog box for just that one piece of data. Included in the dialogue are the three visibility options. Editing the data and clicking the "Save" button only saves the data entered in that dialogue box. All other data for the household must edited and saved individually.

chris_hazeldine wrote:...but you also say that (again if I get you) that submitting an additional request will take precedence over the pending change submitted earlier but not yet passed through the 24hr period?
That is not quite what I said. But you are close in what happens. Let's say that the household phone number needs to be changed for some reason. To make the change the "Edit" link next to the household phone number is clicked, the edit dialogue pops-up, and we change the phone number. The "Save" button is clicked. An information dialog pops up stating the change may take up to 24 hours to be displayed.

Even after changing the household phone number the display still shows the old phone number. It will continue to display the old phone number until the system has processed the change.

But let's say we entered the wrong phone number and want to edit it again only minutes later. We do not have to wait until the first change is processed and displayed to enter the correct phone number. The edit can be done immediately. For this example I doubt the first change would ever be displayed in the directory.

I cannot tell you whether an edit made four hours after the first edit would ever be displayed or not on the directory. I guess it depends on how far along the first change has been processed before the next edit is made. If it is displayed it will not be for but a short period of time.
chris_hazeldine wrote:Again the old system would manage multiple changes to content before selecting the save function
When you say the old system I am guessing you are talking about a version 1.x release. Version 1.x had only one visibility option for the entire household. Version 2.0 release included individual visibility options for each phone number and e-mail address as well as a household visibility option.

I am guessing that it was to difficult or cumbersome to include all the phone and e-mail data fields and visibility options into one UI for the entire household.
chris_hazeldine wrote:...so just trying to understand if I am doing something wrong of it is by design that you can only update a single field every 24hrs.
A single data field can be updated, at least in my experience, as often as needed; and as many data fields can be updated in a session as needed. The 24 hour delay is in the processing of the changes before they will be displayed in the LDS.ORG directory.
JD Lessley
chris_hazeldine

Wow, thx for the time you put into the response.

I have observed exactly what you outlined. The bit that is driving me nuts is that I can't correct a phone number and add an email address to the individual in the 24hr period as one knocks out the other.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

chris_hazeldine wrote:The bit that is driving me nuts is that I can't correct a phone number and add an email address to the individual in the 24hr period as one knocks out the other.
Why is that? Are you getting an error message? Is the system blocking you from making any changes? You should be able to make as many changes as needed at any time regardless of the data field.
JD Lessley
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

chris_hazeldine wrote:The bit that is driving me nuts is that I can't correct a phone number and add an email address to the individual in the 24hr period as one knocks out the other.

I think you may be right. I don't have time to look at it today, but in reviewing what you stated, I think the new process we implemented with the 2.0 release may cause this problem under certain circumstances. I'll take a closer look when I have more time at my desk and let you know. If there is a bug, I'll schedule it to be fixed in our upcoming 2.1 release.
chris_hazeldine

Thx, appreciate you checking into it as it makes using 2.0 much more cumbersome.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Ok, here's the update on this issue:

The problem comes about because when you submit a change, all the information for a given individual is submitted (e.g. click 'save' for the phone number, and the info is submitted for that person's email as well). All the changes are queued up in the order they were received, and then a batch process is run at a given time to process all the changes into CMIS (the membership records system). The queue is created in an intermediate system that sits between the Directory app and CMIS. The individual level (all the information for one person in a household) is as granular as we can get with the intermediate system that we need to pass through.

In other words, the new UI paradigm we are using in Directory is not completely compatible with what happens in the back-end systems.

Rather than fix the problem in Directory, there will soon be a fix to the back end that will remove the delay between processing these updates. In other words, changes to phone/email will be reflected immediately, rather than within the current 24-hour window. That update is subject to change, but is currently scheduled for later this month. Until that happens, you'll have to make due with making one change per day to the same individual... A real pain, but it will soon get a lot better.

I apologize for not catching this in our test environment. The back-end fix that will be applied soon was applied a while ago in our test environment, so we didn't even realize that the UI concept would cause this problem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention and thanks for your patience and support.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”