Auxiliary Access to MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ctbarrett

Auxiliary Access to MLS

Post by ctbarrett »

What leaders should have access to MLS? The YM secretary asked me for an MLS login today. I don't think there is anything in MLS for them to work on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking only the BR, HP, EQ and RS need access.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ctbarrett wrote:What leaders should have access to MLS? The YM secretary asked me for an MLS login today. I don't think there is anything in MLS for them to work on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking only the BR, HP, EQ and RS need access.
The bishop can decide who should have access. The HP and EQ can enter home teaching information, and the RS can enter visiting teaching information, so it's pretty clear that MLS access can be helpful for them.

For other auxiliaries, there's not as much that they can enter into MLS, but there can be valid reasons for them to use MLS. They can:
  • generate reports such as class lists and rolls
  • adjust membership in classes/quorums
  • create new quorums and classes
  • specify leaders and others holding callings within organizations
Now it may well be that having more users of MLS creates challenges in training more users, and scheduling time for them to use the one MLS computer in the ward. Note also that the "Organization" permission level in MLS allows all those users to perform these functions for any organization (for example, the Primary president can create a second quorum of elders -- she probably wouldn't do that, but if she did, that would create some problems!).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Now it may well be that having more users of MLS creates challenges in training more users, and scheduling time for them to use the one MLS computer in the ward.

In my stint as ward clerk, I found it easier to simply run the reports myself and stick it into their mailbox as well as doing any needed changes. You might see if that arrangement will work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

A side problem that we have had to deal with a little is some auxiliaries want to hold their presidency meeting in the Clerk's office since the MLS data is there. Occassionally I have to politely tell them to get out as we have Ward Business that must be accomplished. I try to accommodate, but after I barge into their meeting a few times to pull information out of the Filing Cabinet, etc. they usually get the message...

It seems to be more of a problem with Presidencies that have "Tech-savvy" counselors or secretaries who are not afraid to jump on MLS and run reports.
ctbarrett

Post by ctbarrett »

Thanks for your input everyone.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”