Misc Problems With Church Websites

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
egowen

Misc Problems With Church Websites

Post by egowen »

Lately I have been having problems with the Church Website in the following areas

1. The lds.org site now often comes up in Spanish. I have repeatedly changed it to English Interestingly, when I click on "Idiomas' and select North America the only choices I have are Canadá-English or México-Español. Just wondering what ever happened to United State-English

2. If I don't log-in the meeting house locator works although I don't see members. If I log-in the mapping application generates an error Error Page Exception-SRVE0260E The server cannot use the error page specified for your application to handle the Original Exception printed below. This is followed by many lines of detail about the error.

I'm a new bishop and I'm trying to get our membership records straightened out so I'm very interested in the member mapping application so I can locate and visit folks. A day or so ago when it seemed to be working, I determined a number of families for whom we have records actually live in another wards area. I'm wondering how accurate the ward boundary information is. Is there any way to get the text description of our ward boundaries?

I could not locate a problem reporting link on the web site and apologize for using this roundabout method to inquiring about my issues. I did try to use the comment form found on several sub-pages but when I submitted the form I received a 502 Proxy Error - The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request POST /tools/feedback. Reason: Error reading from remote server.

The above issues seem to be consistent whether I use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome (my preference), Firefox or Opera. Cache has been cleared without any change in the problems.

Thanks,

Bishop Edward J Gowen, Jr.
Perry Ward - Macon Georgia Stake
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

If it is IE 9, I do know that the Tier 3 people over at FamilySearch do not recommend it now, due to a host of bugs. They even prefer Firefox and Chrome over IE 8 for that matter. Based on your description that the above-described problems don't appear on Firefox or Chrome, I believe the problems to be more browser based.

Also, head on over to the beta testing forums under the 'Church Websites' grouping, as you can report bugs on the mapping page there, they are testing out some future things so the sooner they hear of your reports, especially on the location of members when logged in, they'll be able to fix it for the current and future version of the mapping tools.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

egowen wrote:Lately I have been having problems with the Church Website in the following areas

In general, posts that cover a variety of topics are not helpful. This site's Code of Conduct says:
  • Do not post the same material in multiple threads.
  • Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread.
Almost everything you posted in this new thread has been addressed by you or by others in other threads. As you spend time on the forum here, you'll find that splitting the discussion of a particular topic into multiple threads isn't helpful to you or anyone else -- it makes it harder for people to respond, and harder for you to figure out what the answers are. I'll provide links to those other threads; please continue those discussions in the appropriate threads.
egowen wrote:1. The lds.org site now often comes up in Spanish. I have repeatedly changed it to English Interestingly, when I click on "Idiomas' and select North America the only choices I have are Canadá-English or México-Español. Just wondering what ever happened to United State-English

This was reported in the thread Everything switching to Spanish. If you go to that thread, you'll see that Mindie Sorensen (a Church employee who works on the LDS.org site) is trying to get some more information on this problem to help track it down. I'd suggest you post your details to that thread; your information may help her in finding the source of the problem.
egowen wrote:2. If I don't log-in the meeting house locator works although I don't see members. If I log-in the mapping application generates an error Error Page Exception-SRVE0260E The server cannot use the error page specified for your application to handle the Original Exception printed below. This is followed by many lines of detail about the error.

You already posted this to the thread LDS Maps not working?.
egowen wrote:I'm a new bishop and I'm trying to get our membership records straightened out so I'm very interested in the member mapping application so I can locate and visit folks. A day or so ago when it seemed to be working, I determined a number of families for whom we have records actually live in another wards area. I'm wondering how accurate the ward boundary information is. Is there any way to get the text description of our ward boundaries?

You already asked this question in the thread Complete Text of Boundary.
egowen wrote:I could not locate a problem reporting link on the web site and apologize for using this roundabout method to inquiring about my issues. I did try to use the comment form found on several sub-pages but when I submitted the form I received a 502 Proxy Error - The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request POST /tools/feedback. Reason: Error reading from remote server.
There's nothing wrong with reporting problems here on the LDSTech Forum -- plenty of people are happy to discuss issues here and give whatever help they can. But this is a community-driven forum, not an official reporting mechanism. Official reports should go through the Submit Feedback link on LDS.org. It sounds like you tried to use that, but were understandably frustrated when the tool you are supposed to use to report problems has problems itself. I have found the Submit Feedback tool to be mostly reliable, so I would suggest that you try again to submit your feedback.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

@egowen,
Please try to keep the discussion of a thread focused on one topic. Posting more than one issue to a thread makes it difficult to keep discussions focused and not have one or more of the other issues get any attention. Keeping a thread on a single topic is a behavior encouraged in the Code of Conduct
With that in mind your first topic should be addressed in the LDS.ORG Web Site forum. The second topic should be addressed in the Maps forum.

Unfortunately there is no way to report the problem with the LDS.ORG Submit Feedback feature. It has been reported and the programmers are aware of this. It is being addressed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Main Church Website”