Bandwidth for Stake Conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
KeithWilson

Bandwidth for Stake Conference

Post by KeithWilson »

Are other stakes shutting down WIFI totally while stake conference is being streamed in the sending building and receiving building? Do you feel this is necessary?

Would a simple announcement over the pulpit "Don't connect to the building's WIFI today", be enough?

Thanks.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

People who use cell phones would have to specifically turn the wifi radio off in order to avoid their phone auto-connecting. You are better off disabling the wifi to ensure no accidental connections especially from people who arrive late.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I agree with rbeede. Disabling the WiFi will ensure better success. A lot of people with mobile devices have no clue how to manage their devices to prevent them from connecting. And with a lot of devices auto-connecting even when the user is not trying to connect, an announcement will mean nothing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

100% of the time that I have forgotten to disable wireless access I've had issues, 100% of the time I disable the wireless I don't have any issues.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Bandwidth for Stake Conference

Post by lajackson »

We had trouble disabling the WiFi at a receiving meetinghouse today. As a result, the broadcast failed. Sadly, this is the third time in three attempts for that half of the stake.

In any event, is it true that even if the antennas from the 881W are removed, you have to also disconnect the WAPs somehow? We discovered too late that there was a 4th WAP in the building and the person operating the broadcast did not know how to disable it.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: In any event, is it true that even if the antennas from the 881W are removed, you have to also disconnect the WAPs somehow? We discovered too late that there was a 4th WAP in the building and the person operating the broadcast did not know how to disable it.
Yes you have to disable the WAP's as well. What I have done is just unplug the network cable to them before the broadcast and then plug it back in after.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

We put all the AP's on a power strip, Just flip the switch.
Roland
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

rolandc wrote:We put all the AP's on a power strip, Just flip the switch.
Doesn't work if all you have is the 881W which many meetinghouses have.

I ALWAYS bypass the firewall at the sending site, plugging in the appliance directly to the DSL line. That way the AP's and the firewall are both out of the picture. At receiving sites we REQUIRE ethernet cables and firewalls shut off - even if they have to run a 300ft ethernet cable to get to the right place.

Without Ethernet connections in our meetinghouses we are left to struggle to do these webcasts successfully. Seriously? I can't get an ethernet port at the podium... maybe I should request and get budget in both 2012 and 2013 for that...wait.. we did....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:At receiving sites we REQUIRE ethernet cables and firewalls shut off - even if they have to run a 300ft ethernet cable to get to the right place.
You require? We were not consulted. It just showed up one day. In fact, I thought there were three WAPs at the receiving site. Turns out there were four. The operator thought there were two.

You can see how the math worked out on that. [sigh]
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

When we do our webcasts, we INFORM the receiving sites (I've done many single-stake, and many multi-stake webcasts) that if they are using wireless at the receiving computer, we will not guarantee anything, it is on their heads whether it is successful or not. We ALWAYS want wireless to be out of the picture for any kind of webcasts scenarios. In our area we have NO room for anything other than the webcasts using the bandwidth of our sites.

This is our best way to ensure that Wireless is disabled in the meetinghouse at the receiving end.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”