Is PVC compatibile with new Logitech c920?

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

gyoungberg

Is PVC compatibile with new Logitech c920?

Post by gyoungberg »

Quick question for y'all...
Is the new Logitech c920 compatible with PVC? I googled for compatibility with Vidyo or Google+ and didn't find anything. Reviews about it with Skype seem very favorable, especially with the onboard processing reducing the CPU and bandwidth needs.

Has anyone tried one yet?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I own a C910 and although I've not used it for PVC, I have successfully used it while experimenting with the webcast software. I think you'll find that most USB webcams create an A/V stream that's easily tapped into by a wide variety of applications like these.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

I have a couple of the C910 webcams and love them. I've read that the C920 doesn't play as well with Mac OS X 10. But I guess my question was more to the H.264 video compression built into the webcam, which makes it quite unique in the webcam world. I understand it only works with Skype 5.8 (latest release), so I'm thinking they had to upgrade something in the Skype system to take advantage of it. I'm wondering if Vidyo has done whatever they need to in order to work with the H.264 compression.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

gyoungberg wrote:Quick question for y'all...
Is the new Logitech c920 compatible with PVC? I googled for compatibility with Vidyo or Google+ and didn't find anything. Reviews about it with Skype seem very favorable, especially with the onboard processing reducing the CPU and bandwidth needs.

Has anyone tried one yet?
I haven't used the c920, but I'm using the mid range c510, (I think). it works like a champ with PVC. Now I think in the forums that it says that c910 will work, so I don't see why the c920 wouldn't work as well. Just install the latest drivers and make sure it works out side of PVC and you should be good to go. In fact, I have used the Osprey 260e video capture card with a Sony EVI-D70 connected to it and it worked fine. In fact, I'm really thinking of using PVC more for webcasting than the webcasting software because it froze on a couple of people and on me when I was testing it.

I want to reduce the freezing of the client computers.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

I purchased a few of the C920's and tested them. They work fine with PVC. I had hoped that the on-board H.264 processor would offload video processing, and allow you to get better results on a slower PC, but our early testing has not shown that it makes any difference. We connected a C920 to a duo-core laptop and turned on 720p30 mode within PVC. It pegged the CPU whether we had the C910 or the C920 plugged in, which was disappointing. Vidyo tells me that behavior is as expected - the way they do video processing wouldn't be benefitted by the on-board processor.

So the C920 is a great camera, and will work fine. However, the C910 will give you the same results and generally costs less.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

Thanks Kurt. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Not the answers I was hoping for, but such it is I guess. Thanks for staying on top of the new stuff!

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”