Separating Contact Information for Married Couples Living Apart in Same Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Terence

Separating Contact Information for Married Couples Living Apart in Same Ward

Post by Terence »

How can I separate contact information for couples living apart in the same ward? When a couple is in the process of divorce, which can take many months in contested divorces, it is very embarrassing for them to have telephone calls coming to the home of one for the other. I can't find a way in the instructions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You need to make each member their own household. The easiest way to do that is to go edit the household record and remove the wife. You'll be given the option to make her a new Head of House.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This is quite similar to the question posed in the thread Family Break-up, Children Split between households, How create the new household?, but that one involved a nonmember spouse. The steps are:
  1. Go to the Household Record for the current family.
  2. Remove the spouse from the household; when you are asked what to do with the spouse, say to create a new household.
  3. If there are children moving with that spouse, specify which ones are being moved to that household.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Terence

Post by Terence »

RussellHltn wrote:You need to make each member their own household. The easiest way to do that is to go edit the household record and remove the wife. You'll be given the option to make her a new Head of House.
I don't see a way of doing that without dissolving the marriage, which wouldn't be appropriate until the divorce is final.
Terence

Post by Terence »

terence wrote:I don't see a way of doing that without dissolving the marriage, which wouldn't be appropriate until the divorce is final.
I see a button to Add Member, but none to "remove" a member of the household.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

terence wrote:I don't see a way of doing that without dissolving the marriage, which wouldn't be appropriate until the divorce is final.

Follow the instructions that both Alan and I have posted above. You can "dissolve" a household at any time. Marriages and households are two separate things. Households are just people who live together.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

terence wrote:I see a button to Add Member, but none to "remove" a member of the household.

The remove will be on the far right on the line of each household member.

Terence

Post by Terence »

aebrown wrote:This is quite similar to the question posed in the thread Family Break-up, Children Split between households, How create the new household?, but that one involved a nonmember spouse. The steps are:
  1. Go to the Household Record for the current family.
  2. Remove the spouse from the household; when you are asked what to do with the spouse, say to create a new household.
  3. If there are children moving with that spouse, specify which ones are being moved to that household.
I see a button to Add Member, but none to "remove" a member of the household.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.
Terence

Post by Terence »

RussellHltn wrote:The remove will be on the far right on the line of each household member.
Not on my screen. Membership number is last thing on right of their name. Above that is the link to ADD MEMBER. I tried clicking on that and it didn't give me a remove option.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

terence wrote:Not on my screen. Membership number is last thing on right of their name. Above that is the link to ADD MEMBER. I tried clicking on that and it didn't give me a remove option.

Make sure you're looking at the Household Record, not the Household Members portion of a Member Record. Look at the name on the tab to see which kind of record you're looking at. If you're looking at a Member record then click on the Household Name link at the top of the page to get to the Household Record.

Return to “Membership Help”