Is there a way to dialing from PVC to an audio conference service?

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

dserres

Is there a way to dialing from PVC to an audio conference service?

Post by dserres »

Hi,

We are wanting to be able to include members from around the Stake who may not have the bandwidth or equipment to handle a PVC session. One approach is to call them individually from the Control Meeting window but that gets unmanageable for more than 2-3 people.

What we would like to do is call into a separate audio conferencing service but that requires being able to add pauses, a conference code and some hash keys to the phone number.
(e.g. 9918885553333,,,,,123456#,,,,,#)

Is this possible? What characters would the pauses be?

Thanks,
Doug
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

It would be nice if it would be possible to disable video stream for some user. I don't know exactly if the technology (soft) is already on place, but I wonder it could be done soon.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

dserres wrote:Hi,

We are wanting to be able to include members from around the Stake who may not have the bandwidth or equipment to handle a PVC session. One approach is to call them individually from the Control Meeting window but that gets unmanageable for more than 2-3 people.

What we would like to do is call into a separate audio conferencing service but that requires being able to add pauses, a conference code and some hash keys to the phone number.
(e.g. 9918885553333,,,,,123456#,,,,,#)

Is this possible? What characters would the pauses be?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug, when I saw this, I needed to write about this as I have done this. As you currently know, the key pad is not available in someone's room. I have requested from SLC to have that enabled so that we can do what you are suggesting.

Now, you will not be able to put any pauses into the number because it won't work. What I did was to download the dial tones for the numbers. I will attach the file that I downloaded.

I open, in quicktime, each number that I need for the audio code. Then I got to PVC, dial into the conference bridge and wait for it ask for the passcode. One that happens, I will then play each of the numbers to dial into the specific bridge. Now, this does not always happen on the first time, but as I keep working at it, I eventually get the numbers put in correctly.

I've done this at 3 times and will do it tonight.

I'm looking forward to the day that the keypad is available and make this much easier.
Attachments
dtmf.zip
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

marianomarini wrote:It would be nice if it would be possible to disable video stream for some user. I don't know exactly if the technology (soft) is already on place, but I wonder it could be done soon.
Mariano - you definitely can disable the video stream for some users. There are two ways to do it:
1. The user can mute their own video by clicking on the camera icon within the window that shows the meeting participants.
2. If the meeting is in your PVC meeting room, as the meeting room owner, you have complete control over the participants. After you have started the meeting, go to your browser where you logged into pvc.lds.org. Click on Control Meeting, then put your mouse the participants. You can click on mute video, mute audio, or even disconnect them.

Also, you can dial out to a phone from PVC so that the person is only participating with audio. See here. However, we are currently experiencing issues with dialing to some country codes. We are working on fixing it; I'm not sure if Italy is working. Using this feature does place an international phone call from Salt Lake City to wherever you are calling, so you'll want to use this feature wisely.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Nice to ear that. I'm doing some test with local FM. I don't think we will use phone calls at all.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

harddrive wrote:Doug, when I saw this, I needed to write about this as I have done this. As you currently know, the key pad is not available in someone's room. I have requested from SLC to have that enabled so that we can do what you are suggesting.

Now, you will not be able to put any pauses into the number because it won't work. What I did was to download the dial tones for the numbers. I will attach the file that I downloaded.

I open, in quicktime, each number that I need for the audio code. Then I got to PVC, dial into the conference bridge and wait for it ask for the passcode. One that happens, I will then play each of the numbers to dial into the specific bridge. Now, this does not always happen on the first time, but as I keep working at it, I eventually get the numbers put in correctly.

I've done this at 3 times and will do it tonight.

I'm looking forward to the day that the keypad is available and make this much easier.

Some good news from today - I had previously asked our vendor, Vidyo, to enable the dialpad regardless of what mode you are in (right now, it's only on when you make a direct gateway call, such as to a telephone or standard VC endpoint). They agreed that it was a good request, and have implemented into version 2.2 of their software. We will be upgrading to 2.2 in the next few months (it's not officially released yet), so you will have this capability soon.

But I love harddrive's creativity in coming up with a workaround for right now! Nicely done.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
gwarmito

Re: Is there a way to dialing from PVC to an audio conferenc

Post by gwarmito »

It appears I am not able to dial out. When I tried to call my cell phone put in the number to dial 99, the Call button is grayed out and not Green. Is dialing out tied to specific callings? I am the Stake Exec. Secretary.

Is this still a feature offered by the PVC service?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”