MLS Test data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
simonawright

MLS Test data

Post by simonawright »

I have tried installing MLS 3.4.2, on my personal laptop for training purposes, and then setting up the test data as per the Wiki article. I get an error on the following 2 files:

C:\program files\lds church\mls\updates\membership\word\en\testwardEN.001
C:\program files\lds church\mls\updates\membership\geo.001

MLS recognises the presence of the membership data as I can assign a member to be the Bishop. Unfortunately it doesn't get beyond the initial setup screen. This has been a problem on 2 separate systems and so I believe the issue is with the test data.

Can this error be fixed? Does the raw data need changing in any way?

Your help would be appreciated.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I think you need to be very careful about installing MLS on any computer other than an authorised Church supplied computer. When I asked about this, I was informed that this action in Europe was not approved.

If this has been rescinded, please could you point me towards the relevant approval notices etc.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

I received the following from our local office by email on the 7th November 2011. It was sent to Stake clerks and STS

"Just in case anyone doesn’t know there is a test unit available for MLS training. All the data, both finance and membership is false so it can safely be used by anyone who wants to learn more about MLS. This can be installed on existing MLS computers (add the unit in System Options / Unit) or on a home computer. Please note that real ward data is not permitted on personal computers. "
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Instructions for using the test units can be found on the wiki under MLS test data. Note that the finance information is pre-CUBS and there is no way to convert it to CUBS, so some of the financial features aren't very useful.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

As we don't have CUBS in the UK that part isn't an issue.

I would have liked to use the membership stuff but I have not been able to get it to work following the wiki instructions. I was wondering if the software had added functions that needed information not in the test data.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I received the following from our local office by email on the 7th November 2011. It was sent to Stake clerks and STS

"Just in case anyone doesn’t know there is a test unit available for MLS training. All the data, both finance and membership is false so it can safely be used by anyone who wants to learn more about MLS. This can be installed on existing MLS computers (add the unit in System Options / Unit) or on a home computer. Please note that real ward data is not permitted on personal computers. "
Thanks for the update. :-)

The reason I queried being able to use it on a home computer, was whilst living in France, I asked if it was OK, but was informed that it was Europe wide directive not to have it installed anywhere else other than on a Clerks computer. . Returning to the UK and being called to a position where I was again required to use MLS, I again asked and the answer was the same. No!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:The reason I queried being able to use it on a home computer, was whilst living in France, I asked if it was OK, but was informed that it was Europe wide directive not to have it installed anywhere else other than on a Clerks computer. . Returning to the UK and being called to a position where I was again required to use MLS, I again asked and the answer was the same. No!

There's a worldwide directive not to install MLS anywhere other than a clerk computer -- but there is an exception for the test data. Did you specifically ask about the test data? Because if you don't specifically mention the test data, then I'm not surprised that the answer is no.

Note that the Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping (current version is dated 18 Aug 2009) says (point 11 on the last page): "Ensure that priesthood leaders and clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers, except for training purposes using test data" (emphasis added). The previous version (dated 27 Mar 2005) of that same policy document did not include that bolded text (even though it should have), so if someone in your area office is unaware of the updated document, they might make such a blanket statement.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Another issue with the test data is for stake leadership positions. There are no stake leaders in the test data. Because tier one positions must be entered through a LUCRS it is not possible to populate stake leadership positions for the test stake. Without a stake president the test data will not allow entering any other positions. When trying to add a test member to a position none of the standard positions are available. This makes creating callings using standard positions impossible.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

aebrown wrote:There's a worldwide directive not to install MLS anywhere other than a clerk computer -- but there is an exception for the test data. Did you specifically ask about the test data? Because if you don't specifically mention the test data, then I'm not surprised that the answer is no.

Note that the Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping (current version is dated 18 Aug 2009) says (point 11 on the last page): "Ensure that priesthood leaders and clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers, except for training purposes using test data" (emphasis added). The previous version (dated 27 Mar 2005) of that same policy document did not include that bolded text (even though it should have), so if someone in your area office is unaware of the updated document, they might make such a blanket statement.

Many thanks for supplying the reference to this.

I had left France by the time the amended letter was posted. In the UK, it had/had not filtered down to the Ward level at the time of my second request which happened to be in December 2009. I have now been working with MLS since then, so the test data option didn't occur to me. However its useful to know for when new clerks, bishopric members etc.. are called.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

This overhaul of the test data has been on my wish list for several years. I'm starting to wonder if some of the new functions in MLS might not have the needed built-in Send/Receive simulations for when the test data is in use.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”