Possible new MLS feature

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
gcross79

Possible new MLS feature

Post by gcross79 »

Just a suggestion for a possible feature on the next MLS update.
I am my wards new Exec sec and we have quite a lot of less active members on our records. Anyhow some of these less active members have requested no contact from church members, I have noticed there is no actual way to record this information and so our current ward clerk has been following what past clerks have done and simply writing no contact in the address field or phone number field.

My suggestion is to add either a notes section attached to members records or maybe some tick boxes labeled, active member, less active member, member requires no contact.
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

You can always create a custom member field in MLS to record this sort of information in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to read the thread This-weekend's tip No "DNC" on membership records.

While I'm sure the local leadership would love such a feature, I seriously doubt it will get past the higher ups at CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

The omission of such a "Do Not Contact" status feature in MLS is obviously by design, as the link from RussellHltn makes clear.

As for notations of "Active" or "Inactive," I also doubt that leaders are supposed to categorize members that way within church membership systems. We don't even have a clear definition of those terms. (In one sense, even yeast can be "active.")

There are certain facts that are recorded in MLS that might inform leaders about members' activity -- when they accept callings or assignments as home or visiting teachers, whether they hold a current temple recommend, and whether men hold priesthood office or are considered prospective elders, for example. These facts are available to appropriate local leaders in various MLS reports, including custom reports.

Ad hoc notations outside of church systems might be another matter, IMHO. But I personally am glad the church does not classify me in an official database dossier.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

gcross79 wrote:member requires no contact.
Welcome to your first post! We love the exchange of ideas here. Just a thought...
I was once "coded" DNC in a ward many years ago. And, then a bishop counselor caught me in the hall on my way to Sunday school and asked why I would request "DNC" when I was active! I wouldn't of course. It was a miss-understanding that begin with a fast offering collection doorstep conversation with a YM, and after many relays of "I think he said...," a clerk communicated it to the bishopric, who said "What?" I'm glad somebody checked on it...I've never believed in a DNC list since....

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”