Bug Report for new privacy feature

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rbeede

Bug Report for new privacy feature

Post by rbeede »

I tried using the Feedback link, but the server gave a 502 Proxy Error. Here is my original bug report:

Bug Report - Directory 2.0

When I change the household visibility from Stake to Ward all the other individual entries do not update. They still say Stake even though when editing the individual setting Stake is grayed out (yet still selected).

The correct action would be for the individual settings to change to Ward as well (or whatever lower privacy setting was chosen).
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

This is explained in the help documentation here:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Data_privacy_ ... _Directory

When you change your household visibility, it does not change your other settings, it only limits them. If you change your household setting back, your previous individual settings still take effect. Otherwise, you would need to change every individual setting whenever you changed your household setting to a less restrictive level. It is functioning as it should.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I disagree. Your suggestion would lead to loss ofindividual settings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

It is a design bug then. It only adds confusion that even though my individual setting still says "Stake" the household has overridden it to be "Private." It isn't clear in the GUI what setting is actually in effect for the individual setting.

When the household setting makes it more restrictive the GUI for individual settings should have a note by each one that says "Restricted to X by household setting."
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Perhaps we can tweak the UI to make it clearer, but if you click on each individual setting, we do add a note that mentions that the household setting has affected the individual setting. The top of the edit screen, and each individual pop-up, have links to the help page that I included in my earlier post. That page does a fairly good job of explaining the affects of the various privacy settings.

I'm sure we can always improve the UI, but reading the help documentation is also beneficial.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Your average user won't dig through all the help information though. The small UI change I mentioned would eliminate the confusion.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:When the household setting makes it more restrictive the GUI for individual settings should have a note by each one that says "Restricted to X by household setting."

I was going to suggest graying it out if it's overridden, but the current color scheme might make that easy to miss.

I agree the current setup is a bit confusing. Any change to the UI that would help communicate the situation would be good. Keep in mind this isn't a tool for the clerks (who can be trained) but for the end membership (which taken as a whole would be a never-ending training cycle).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

We are updating the UI so that the text label (both in the profile screen itself, and in the pop-up when you edit) that indicates the privacy setting will show the visibility of the information, not what the setting is set to. The radio buttons will continue to function as they do now, indicating the actual setting, with options grayed out based on the household limit setting.

Hopefully that will be a better indication of how this stuff actually works.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”