Teacher/Leader Use of WIFI in Your Building

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jeromer7

Teacher/Leader Use of WIFI in Your Building

Post by jeromer7 »

For those who have implemented wireless access in one or more buildings, how is it being used? I am specifically interested in what methodologies are used by teachers/leaders. I have read about the Church’s work with Roku and understand its use for video streaming, but I can see a need to browse Church Web sites as well which requires a device with a browser.

I should have new Cisco 1041Ns in place in my stake center in the next few weeks and am now trying to come to grips with how best to facilitate its use. There are some local leaders already chomping at the bit to use their iPads, but not everyone has a tablet and it’s only suitable for small groups.

I have looked at some options that include VGA-RCA converters to use existing TVs; using a netbook and external monitor or VGA capable TV, etc. I thought it would be useful in planning—not only for me, but for others that are also looking to implement wireless—to draw upon the experience of those who have been there, done that.
JLR
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

My experience is it's not dependable enough to use streaming video in a lesson situation. The instructor would be much better prepared by capturing the video at home and bring it on a flash drive to play it for their lesson.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:My experience is it's not dependable enough to use streaming video in a lesson situation. The instructor would be much better prepared by capturing the video at home and bring it on a flash drive to play it for their lesson.

And there's a Wiki page for ideas how to do just that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

For me it hasn't been an issue of streaming being unreliable, it's been an issue of becoming "AV support" for all of Sunday School, Primary, etc. There are just a lot of first time hurdles for a teacher to get over if they want to do something like this. There's setting up the TV or projector with their laptop/streaming device, then there's getting on the wireless if they've never gotten on before, and then there's the actual navigation to the media. If you can set up a pre-configured Roku on your library's TV's, maybe that would be helpful (assuming it has a really easy to use user interface - I've never used one before).

Of course, your Stake Presidency decides at what level the wireless password should be shared - but in our stake we've decided it should be shared widely and used by everyone who has a need during church. It's really only been used in lessons by using a laptop/projector combo. I've not seen any other media devices being brought into the building for lessons.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Our stake has only used the Laptop projector combo. For almost all situations, we try hard to provide a wired connection, wireless is just weak, however, it's getting better. The ROKU box idea is good, but seems way to challenging to implement reliably. The biggest logistical problem is that of setting up the projector, and getting someones laptop connected to the wireless, most members are out of their element with that.

Another question...for sammythesm, you mentioned your Stake Presidency is providing the wifi password "widely and used by everyone..", Does your stake presidency just email the bishops, or what? We change the password every 6 months around GC time, then have the bishops distribute them to those that need it. With laptops and tablets and even hand held phones, more and more having WiFi, it's increasingly becoming the expectation for all members to be provided access..scriptures, talks, videos, even mormon messages are commonly used in lessons, and really do a great job of getting the point across.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

[font=&quot]My thanks for those who’ve taken the time to reply. I agree that many folks are willing to provide their own resources. We had the annual Stake Auxiliary Training Meeting this past weekend and three of the auxiliaries used A/V gear. Two connected to the Internet and one used video previously downloaded to their laptop. Of the Internet session, one used one of our hardwired connections and the other used an iPad connected to an iPhone as a hotspot. The only thing that was Church owned was the Cat5 cable used for the hardwire connection.[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]My concern is for those that aren’t tech savvy and don’t have the gear. Sure, they could link up with someone that does have the knowledge and equipment, but Handbook 2, 14.7.2, in the 2nd paragraph of the section titled General Principles and Guidelines there is the following:[/font]
[font=&quot] “Stake and ward budget funds should be used to pay for all activities, programs, manuals, and supplies. … Nor should they provide materials, supplies, …” [emphasis added].[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]It is this principle that I am trying to address for our stake.[/font]
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeromer7 wrote:“Stake and ward budget funds should be used to pay for all activities, programs, manuals, and supplies. … Nor should they provide materials, supplies, …” [emphasis added].

It is this principle that I am trying to address for our stake.

I guess the meaning of that quotation depends on your interpretation of the word "provide." If I use something I already own in a lesson (or some other Church purpose), and there is no out of pocket expense for me to simply use it, I guess I don't see how that is contrary to the quoted policy. A logical extension of your argument (a bit ridiculous, I'll admit, but logical nonetheless) is that if I read from my personal scriptures while teaching a lesson, then I am providing materials or supplies at my own expense contrary to policy.

On the other hand, if I spend my own money to obtain something for Church purposes, or if I take something I already own and it is somehow consumed through its use, then I would be running afoul of the policy if I am not reimbursed. But using my own laptop or tablet or other equipment seems reasonable and within the policy to me. Of course, local leaders with the keys to preside will appropriately make these interpretations and decisions for each congregation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

I agree with aebrown. An instructor/member doesn't need a computer/tablet/Internet connection in order to teach a lesson. They have the scriptures and the lesson book and the Spirit which is all they really need.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”