Show on Map issue.

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
joxsmith

Show on Map issue.

Post by joxsmith »

First, I like the updates. I think the directory looks great.

I have a problem, however, when I click the Show on Map link.
All my ward members that I have checked so far show they live in the Gulf of Guinea just off the coast of Nigeria when in fact our ward is in Boise, ID. Very interesting. I had to zoom way out to even know that was where I was looking.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The map link should display only if the household has lat/long information. So this bug could be caused two ways:

- Either the link is displaying even when there is no lat/long info
- There is lat/long info, but it is not getting passed to the map

We'll look into both possibilities. Thanks for the report.
adaca

Post by adaca »

jdcr256 wrote:The map link should display only if the household has lat/long information. So this bug could be caused two ways:

We'll look into both possibilities. Thanks for the report.

It doesn't look like it is getting values at all. If you click on Get Directions, it says [object Object] for the first line.
jeanniewood

Post by jeanniewood »

I am glad to know it is a site-wide glitch and not just me :) I, also, show as location off the coast of Africa instead of Arizona, USA. Everything else seemed to work just fine for me.
marenmecham

Same map issue

Post by marenmecham »

Same issue with mapping: it places my house in the Atlantic off Africa. Also, I used to be able to map other members of my ward and stake but now that option only exists in my own household. I'm hoping the "map this" option reappears because it sure is helpful in our geographically-huge unit. Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The location off the coast of Africa happens to be 0 latitude, 0 longitude -- the intersection of the Equator and the Prime Meridian.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:The map link should display only if the household has lat/long information. So this bug could be caused two ways:

For all the examples I have examined, it must be the second, since almost all the households in my ward are mapped and thus must have lat/lon information.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
damarisfish

Show on map

Post by damarisfish »

I get nothing, just a map point on a bare blue field when I am in my profile. Yes, Zooming Out - 'turns out that's 0/0, and blue because it's in the ocean! 'As close as I may get to visiting my brother in Ghana & Nigeria....

I am the only one in my ward directory that has the Show on Map link coming up for me. I know where I live...it's everyone else I was interested to find their homes to go visit, as family history consultant.

It will be nice when it works. :-)

Any plans for being able to see a neighborhood worth of (visibility enabled) member residence mappoints at a time?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

damarisfish wrote:I get nothing, just a map point on a bare blue field when I am in my profile.
A sea of blue is what you'll see when you get stuck off the coast of Africa, lat/lon 0/0.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

This will be fixed in our next release.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”