YSA Leaders Out-Of-Unit Calling

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
manielsen2002

YSA Leaders Out-Of-Unit Calling

Post by manielsen2002 »

My appologies, I'm sure this question has been asked before. However the information I have read seems to be dated and I wanted to find out the current procedure to create leaders that are out of unit for YSA wards in our Stake. My question is what is the policy on their membership records. Should their records be moved from their home ward. It seems that all the bishopric members records are moved from their home ward. However, other leaders such as advisors, etc have not been moved. What is the pocedure in MLS to accomplish this.

Also, YSA advisors in the family wards need to have access to the YSA ward calendars, how can this be accomplished so they are aware of events going on there.

I'm the Stake Clerk and am trying to help both the family ward and the YSA ward get this setup properly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

manielsen2002 wrote:My appologies, I'm sure this question has been asked before. However the information I have read seems to be dated and I wanted to find out the current procedure to create leaders that are out of unit for YSA wards in our Stake. My question is what is the policy on their membership records. Should their records be moved from their home ward. It seems that all the bishopric members records are moved from their home ward. However, other leaders such as advisors, etc have not been moved. What is the pocedure in MLS to accomplish this.
The policy is very clear: membership records are not to be moved for out of unit leaders. Their records remain in their home wards; see Handbook 1, section 13.6.5. Besides being official policy, this makes a lot of sense: it keeps the family together (the spouse doesn't look like a widow), and it keeps the records in the place where the out-of-unit leader still gets his temple recommend signed and attends tithing settlement and is home taught, etc.

The records for the bishopric members that were incorrectly moved to the YSA ward should be moved back to their home wards. Before those records are moved, it would be wise to print out a copy of those records so that you'll have the information (MRN, priesthood office, etc.) needed to create a proper out-of-unit record in the YSA ward's MLS for those people.
manielsen2002 wrote:Also, YSA advisors in the family wards need to have access to the YSA ward calendars, how can this be accomplished so they are aware of events going on there.
There's currently no reasonable way to do this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

manielsen2002 wrote:My appologies, I'm sure this question has been asked before. However the information I have read seems to be dated and I wanted to find out the current procedure to create leaders that are out of unit for YSA wards in our Stake. My question is what is the policy on their membership records. Should their records be moved from their home ward. It seems that all the bishopric members records are moved from their home ward. However, other leaders such as advisors, etc have not been moved.
By definition "out of unit leader" means the records are in one ward while the calling is in another. The policy of the Church requires the records of a member to reside in the ward/branch in which the member resides. I do not have Handbook 1 available to give a specific reference. There are exceptions, but they require First Presidency approval.
manielsen2002 wrote: What is the pocedure in MLS to accomplish this.
The procedure for creating out of unit records is found HERE.
manielsen2002 wrote:Also, YSA advisors in the family wards need to have access to the YSA ward calendars, how can this be accomplished so they are aware of events going on there.
Unfortunately there is no current ability for members of a unit in one stake to view the calendars of any unit in another stake. Within a stake there is a procedure to view events at a location. But this not the same as viewing the calendars of a unit. Members of units sharing a location with another stake can view the events at the shared location. But that does not necessarily apply here.

The only way I know to give access in this situation is to make the YSA advisors out of unit leaders. This is not considered an acceptable practice.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the YSA activity calendar needs to be available to YSA who choose not to attend the YSA ward, then I'd suggest those calendars be made stake calendars. You can grant the leaders of the YSA ward editor access by name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:If the YSA activity calendar needs to be available to YSA who choose not to attend the YSA ward, then I'd suggest those calendars be made stake calendars. You can grant the leaders of the YSA ward editor access by name.
That could work if the YSA ward is in the same stake as the home wards, as is the case with the OP of this thread. It does create some problems (e.g., you can't assign calendar editors by calling for stake calendars when the desired callings are ward callings), but it would solve the visibility problem.

But I would note that in many areas of the US, YSA wards are all in YSA stakes -- they are no longer part of the residential stakes, so in such areas this technique would not work.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
manielsen2002

Post by manielsen2002 »

aebrown wrote:But I would note that in many areas of the US, YSA wards are all in YSA stakes -- they are no longer part of the residential stakes, so in such areas this technique would not work.
From what I hear, our YSA ward will be moved to a YSA Stake soon so I suppose that this will all be a mute point soon and we will just have to wait for the the enhancement to the calendar to allow out of stake access.

Thanks for all the input.
manielsen2002

Post by manielsen2002 »

aebrown wrote:The policy is very clear: membership records are not to be moved for out of unit leaders. Their records remain in their home wards; see Handbook 1, section 13.6.5. Besides being official policy, this makes a lot of sense: it keeps the family together (the spouse doesn't look like a widow), and it keeps the records in the place where the out-of-unit leader still gets his temple recommend signed and attends tithing settlement and is home taught, etc.

The records for the bishopric members that were incorrectly moved to the YSA ward should be moved back to their home wards. Before those records are moved, it would be wise to print out a copy of those records so that you'll have the information (MRN, priesthood office, etc.) needed to create a proper out-of-unit record in the YSA ward's MLS for those people.

I'm a new Stake Clerk. This was done prior to my installation. I will see to it that this is corrected.
manielsen2002

Post by manielsen2002 »

aebrown wrote:The policy is very clear: membership records are not to be moved for out of unit leaders. Their records remain in their home wards; see Handbook 1, section 13.6.5. Besides being official policy, this makes a lot of sense: it keeps the family together (the spouse doesn't look like a widow), and it keeps the records in the place where the out-of-unit leader still gets his temple recommend signed and attends tithing settlement and is home taught, etc.

I will get this corrected. I'm a new Stake Clerk and was just stating current situation as I saw it. Makes sense and certainly want to correct this to adhear to church policy. Thanks for pointing this out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But I would note that in many areas of the US, YSA wards are all in YSA stakes -- they are no longer part of the residential stakes, so in such areas this technique would not work.

Only if you consider Utah and Idaho "many areas". <grin> Point taken.

I think there's been hints of "regional" calendars. Seems like that would be a usable solution if that feature is available and the leaders can be talked into it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

manielsen2002 wrote:I will get this corrected. I'm a new Stake Clerk and was just stating current situation as I saw it. Makes sense and certainly want to correct this to adhear to church policy. Thanks for pointing this out.

If you will read the referenced section in Handbook 1 (13.6.5), you will find that there are some specific cases where the family membership records will move together if the family moves with the priesthood leader to fill an assignment. But, this is not one of them, since they are all still at home and have not gone anywhere.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”