Emergency data communications

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
aclawson

Emergency data communications

Post by aclawson »

I would like to call your attention to the project found at http://hsmm-mesh.org/

In a nutshell, you take old Linksys routers (that cost around $10 on ebay and other online sources) and can mesh them together under part 97 rules (amateur licensing) to provide a robust, wireless data network that could be invaluable during disaster operations.

If your ward/stake is active with amateur radio then this is something that may be of value to you.

If your ward/stake isn't doing anything with amateur radio, I call your attention to a stake that was struck by a wide area disaster. The stake president was talking with SLC and was asked what the needs of the members were. He said he did not know. A member of the 12 then said "President, that is not acceptable". And in another ward the bishop made an announcement during sacrament meeting one day - all members 18+ were to obtain their amateur radio licenses. Classes were set up and the members got their licenses and are now prepared.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

That sounds like an interesting project. I was wondering what range might be possible. The linked site says 10 miles "if you have true line of sight." That's probably useful enough for a lot of places, but I would guess there are lots of areas, urban and rural, where the range or line-of-sight requirement would be a problem.

Any actual experience with the project?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Our RACES group is taking seriously considering nbems. The baud rate is pathetically slow, but it's valuable in transmitting written information with a minimum of extra equipment. Keep in mind: more equipment = more stuff that has to be powered.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”