How do I handle reimbursements from a multi-unit YM/YW activity?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
captainBDSC

How do I handle reimbursements from a multi-unit YM/YW activity?

Post by captainBDSC »

Hi,

Recently my ward and a Spanish branch who also meets in our building have been halfway joined. I say that because the Primary, Young Men, and Young Women meet together on Sunday, and midweek for activities. However the HP, EQ, and RS, still have their own separate meetings. Each unit still has their own Sacrament meeting. The Primary, Young Men and Young Women have presidencies with members from both units. For example, the Primary presidency has the President, 2nd and 3rd counselors are from my unit, but the 1st counselor and secretary are from the Spanish branch. This has been done under the direction of our Stake President.

So, when the Primary, Young Men, or Young Women have an activity and my unit's Bishop authorizes a reimbursement check, can I bill the other unit for their portion of the expense? If so, can I deposit that billed (and supposedly received) amount into the Primary, Young Men, or Young Women budget? If that is not the correct way of handling it, what should I recommend to my Bishop and the Branch President?

One idea I have if the "billing way" is not correct is to receive the paper work for the reimbursement, then only write a portion of the expense out of my ward's budget then ask the Spanish branch to write the remaining portion of the expense out of their budget. Then reimbursement recipient then would receives two checks.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Brent
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

We've handled this in the past by having the other ward write a check to our ward and depositing it with the normal weekly deposit, then writing a check for the full amount from our ward.

In this case, since this appears to be an ongoing arrangement in the Stake, you may ask the Stake President/Clerk to alter the quarterly budget allocations between the units to put the correct amounts that would be spent for such joint activities into a single unit.
captainBDSC

Post by captainBDSC »

I have since discussed this matter with my Stake Clerk. He suggested that having the Branch reimburse my ward and to deposit it into the appropriate budget category.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”