Sunday-Only Date Selector

Beta Lesson Schedules Website feedback
AileneRHerrick

Sunday-Only Date Selector

Post by AileneRHerrick »

From the Announcement Thread:
jdcr256 wrote:The code for the Lesson Scheduler has been updated to revision 525, with the following changes:
-Fix the date picker pop-ups to only allow Sundays to be selected
Our stake has a Wednesday night Gospel Doctrine class. This may be a rare exception, but thought I would mention it?

(Not sure which date picker you are referencing. Do you mean for events?)
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

There are two date pickers, the one for scheduling events, and the one for selecting the starting date of a class. Both are now set to only allow Sunday selections. Currently the app puts every lesson on a Sunday automatically.

The choice of defaulting every lesson to a Sunday creates a lot of simplicity in the application design. We didn't plan to accommodate classes on other days, but this is definitely a consideration for future improvement. I don't think we considered a weekday Gospel Doctrine class, but we have considered some other scenarios where this would be useful.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jdcr256 wrote:We didn't plan to accommodate classes on other days, but this is definitely a consideration for future improvement.
Sounds good. Right now, the Sunday-only selection works good for the majority of classes, so we can roll with that and be patient with future releases. :)
rgisraelsen

Post by rgisraelsen »

jdcr256 wrote:There are two date pickers, the one for scheduling events, and the one for selecting the starting date of a class. Both are now set to only allow Sunday selections. Currently the app puts every lesson on a Sunday automatically.

The choice of defaulting every lesson to a Sunday creates a lot of simplicity in the application design. We didn't plan to accommodate classes on other days, but this is definitely a consideration for future improvement. I don't think we considered a weekday Gospel Doctrine class, but we have considered some other scenarios where this would be useful.
Yes actually in Hong Kong they have church every day of the week. Yes, LDS church. :) So this actually is something that would be useful for a lot of groups.

Another consideration is that the lesson scheduler functionality could easily be expanded to meet other lesson scheduling needs - Institute, seminary, Relief Society weeknight activities are just a few that come to mind right away.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

rgisraelsen wrote:Another consideration is that the lesson scheduler functionality could easily be expanded to meet other lesson scheduling needs - Institute, seminary, Relief Society weeknight activities are just a few that come to mind right away.

Weeknight activities would probably still be included on the Calendar application. However, the idea for using it to display lessons for seminary and institute appeals to me.

We also have an "English Daily Dose" program in our area that would benefit from weeknight scheduling. They meet on Tuesday and Thursday nights to teach English to non-English speakers.
chris_hazeldine

Post by chris_hazeldine »

I notice when setting the Date of an event to the Sunday that it returns with the day prior in the Event listing. Local time for our Stake is Australia/Perth +8hr GMT. Since there is no way to select Stake Conference as a Monday (to then get in the calendar with the right day).

I gather this is an issue with day/time stamping - anything being done to address?
dtolputt

Post by dtolputt »

There appears to be a problem that arises because of the time differences around the world. Australia is 16 hours ahead and so when we click save it puts tha date 1 day before the date selected.

Return to “Beta Lesson Schedules”