Podium microphone pre-processed versus house audio post-processed?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rgme

Podium microphone pre-processed versus house audio post-processed?

Post by rgme »

So, I'm trying to decide the best way to capture podium audio. I've seen many references to capturing a direct feed (pre-processed) from the podium mic. I've also seen a lot of suggestions to capture the line output (post-processed) from the audio system. For the purposes of internet broadcasts, is there some reason I should choose one over the other? I plan on putting either of them into a mixer, along with separate mics covering choir and organ, before sending it along to the computer.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Post-processed will have auto level control, which might actually be advantageous. I have not had an issue with it.

Where I did have an issue was trying to run choir and organ mics into the system. The system only seems to allow one active mic at a time. I tried this on the advice of the FM audio contractor since I didn't have a good way to get additional mics 200 ft to where I was doing the broadcast. There are two extra unused audio lines available but when we tried them we picked up a radio station. (Coincidentally it was a religious station broadcasting another church's service.) I noticed that the cable was pretty low-quality -- not copper and not fully shielded.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
rgme

Post by rgme »

Getting choir/organ mics back to the materials center is also one of my concerns. I have access to a few Audio-Technica 2000 Wireless systems, but I don't know if they'll broadcast far enough (especially through walls). Another option is to use wireless to broadcast to back of cultural hall, and then run cables to materials center (which is about the level of the stage in back).
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

We must have a similar building. I'm not sure if those wireless systems will broadcast that far reliably, but certainly if it's line of sight it would help. We have one unit, not sure which model; I'll have to try it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

craiggsmith wrote:We must have a similar building. I'm not sure if those wireless systems will broadcast that far reliably, but certainly if it's line of sight it would help. We have one unit, not sure which model; I'll have to try it.

In my stake, I had my the audio/video technician run a cable from the chapel amplifier to the satellite cabinet where I tap into it. It works great and with the Osprey card that I use, i'm able to adjust the sound levels.

Now, we have use wireless microphone only to amplify the choir, but I need to work on that a bit more. The audio is then plugged into a microphone port in the chapel and comes through the same feed as the podium.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”