Room Scheduling - When there's a conflict

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jbb89777

Room Scheduling - When there's a conflict

Post by jbb89777 »

I don't know why, but our stake and ward calendars are giving incorrect information. If people enter an event and select their rooms to schedule and it conflicts with another event's scheduled rooms then the standard conflict message shows up at the top of the screen with an unaffiliated contact person for the conflicting event.

Example - On Sunday when someone was entering an event and trying to schedule a room a conflict message came up because the room was already scheduled. In fact the whole building had been scheduled for carpet cleaning that day so no one could schedule anything else at the building for the entire day. This was all normal. The strange thing that happened was that our Stake YW President's name was being autopopulated for the carpet cleaning event's conflict info (instead of the High Counselor over that event). She got a call then called me. I immediately looked at the actual carpet cleaning event and the High Counselor was the contact person in the lower left corner of the event details screen...which is correct. But his name was not showing up at the top of the screen when other's got the conflict message after trying to schedule rooms during the carpet cleaning...hers was.

This has happened again today (Monday) to our Stake Presidency when they were scheduling events and the wrong contact person was being plugged into the conflict message at the top of the screen. The actual event details were correct with the correct contact person but the autogenerated contact name was WAY off base and completely random.

Obviously, it is causing a lot of confusion and frustration for all involved. What can we do?

Thanks for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

When a conflict is reported as someone attempts to schedule an event, there are two names listed. You'll see a message that looks like:
Please contact the building scheduler with any questions - Person1's name - Person1's phone - Person1's email
Or you can contact the individual who created the event - Person2's name - Person2's phone - Person2's email
It's not clear to me from your message where these "random" people's names are appearing. If they are in the building scheduler slot (Person1 above), then the first thing I'd do is to ask a stake calendar administrator to check who the building schedulers are for the location in question. It's conceivable that someone mistakenly entered several building schedulers for that location (perhaps they were confused about the building scheduler role and thought that all calendar editors should be building schedulers).

It would also be helpful to know if this problem is occurring for only one location, or multiple locations.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbb89777

Post by jbb89777 »

It's the slot for person #2 that is wrong. It seems like the system is pulling the person #2's name from a different event that is calendared nearby. The Stake YW President's name that was plugged in could have been pulled from her event a few days before the carpet cleaning...but I doubt it. My stake president's counselor had a brother's name autopopulated from an event that was being held concurrent to the one he was trying to schedule but in a different building on the same date/time. There is no obvious pattern to it.

The building scheduler slot (person #1) has been correct.

Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbb89777 wrote:Any suggestions?

Thanks for those clarifications. Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions. This definitely doesn't sound like user error or anything you can control; it sounds like an error in the data for your unit. So my only suggestion is for you to contact Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbb89777

Post by jbb89777 »

Do you know the number for that? I am in the state of Washington if that helps.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbb89777 wrote:Do you know the number for that? I am in the state of Washington if that helps.
See Local Unit Support on the wiki for contact options.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

As a developer on this project, I'm pretty sure the problem is being caused by voodoo.

Send me a PM with your unit no., the event ID (from the URL when viewing the event details screen) and your headers (follow the instructions below). I'll see if someone has time to take a look at it.

To get your headers:
1. Log in to the calendar
2. Change your URL to https://www.lds.org/header
3. Copy the results and paste it in the PM.

Return to “Calendar”