Sophos: "Can't update while update is in progress"

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Sophos: "Can't update while update is in progress"

Post by russellhltn »

I ran into the same problem reported by others in that Sophos wasn't updating due to the inability to connect to the server. So I downloaded the new Sophos package and ran into the message “unable to update while update is in progress”. I found that by disabling my network card, I was able to complete the re-install. My prior attempt to cancel the update didn't work.

I notice one difference between the prior update file and the current one is the current one has a server name, while the previous one had a IP address in the 10.x.x.x domain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good to know, thanks. I had a similar problem when trying to install the new package. Last I checked it still had just an IP address for the server; maybe they updated it, but maybe I'll reinstall it anyway.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I ran into this when trying to reinstall Sophos tonight, but thanks to your info it worked. But what I don't like is the installer continued to run for 5-10 minutes after all the windows disappeared.

After it finally finished it said the update was successful even though the network was disabled! And it reported itself up to date to the windows security center.

I re-enabled the network and initiated an update again and it was able to contact the server (which as you say now has a name not just a number). It went through the first 3 steps and then said "no files needed updating" on the 4th step and then said "cannot contact server" and the final status says update failed.

So I ran another update and it downloaded another file and installed it and I think I'm good to go now.

What a process. I'm wondering if the install never fully completed last time I did it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:But what I don't like is the installer continued to run for 5-10 minutes after all the windows disappeared.
Yeah, I noticed that. You have to wait for the machine to go back to idle and the icon to re-appear before you know it's done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I just did one Sophos update on a PC in the FHC.

The upgrade is to v9.5, not to v10, and LANDesk for FHCs said 0.14GB, that's 20mb larger than the older version was.

The installer screen takes less time than the old version did, and if you try to force an update right away after the install windows go away, it doesn't respond. However, shutting down the computer and restarting it does help. Once you are done with the restart, force an update and the updater will finish the install process. Depending on the PCs bus speed and available memory, that last step will take up to five minutes.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

At least the updates are faster than they used to be! I've had the initial update with the old installer on slow connections take over an hour.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Might even be better if they were to upgrade Sophos (Endpoint) from 9.5B which is what I saw in LANDesk, to 10. May take a bit though before they give us that more current version.

Return to “Clerk Computers”