I have all male primary children in my prospective elders lists???

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tolmanator

I have all male primary children in my prospective elders lists???

Post by tolmanator »

Been trying to fix this for some time now. Don't really know why but for my quarterly report and such all male primary children are showing up in that list. Anyone have some direction on how to fix this?

Thanks!
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

Is this a custom report that you have created, or is this the standard list of prospective elders?

When I click on Membership (in the menu bar), then click Unit Statistics, there is a link for the list of Prospective Elders right there. When I click on that, it only brings up men 18+. Do you actually have Primary children in that list?

If it's a custom report, you will just need to edit the report parameters to get the ages you want.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

There is a way to reset the parameters on the normal prospective elder list, as well. My guess is that it has somehow been adjusted and needs to be returned to its default value. Sorry I am not familiar enough to know how to do it, nor savvy enough to find the article in the Wiki that explains how, either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:There is a way to reset the parameters on the normal prospective elder list, as well. My guess is that it has somehow been adjusted and needs to be returned to its default value. Sorry I am not familiar enough to know how to do it, nor savvy enough to find the article in the Wiki that explains how, either.

I think you're referring to Classes

As to how to find it, I do what I've suggested in my signature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:There is a way to reset the parameters on the normal prospective elder list, as well. My guess is that it has somehow been adjusted and needs to be returned to its default value. Sorry I am not familiar enough to know how to do it, nor savvy enough to find the article in the Wiki that explains how, either.
I don't think so. I'm guessing you are thinking that the procedure for Resetting classes could apply to prospective elders, but that's not the case. The only organization/class lists that can be reset are in Primary and Sunday School. The rules for prospective elders are not configurable; they are determined by the handbook.

And I guarantee that there is no article in the wiki that says anything about resetting the prospective elders organization -- there are only 6 articles in the entire wiki that even mention prospective elders, so it's not hard to verify that none of them mention any way to reset the organization.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:I don't think so. I'm guessing you are thinking that the procedure for resetting classes could apply to prospective elders, but that's not the case. The only organization/class lists that can be reset are in Primary and Sunday School. The rules for prospective elders are not configurable; they are determined by the handbook.

In that case, tolmanator must be working off of a custom list, or else his database is in a lot worse shape than mine.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

tolmanator wrote:but for my quarterly report and such
I'd like to know which list you see this on. Can you describe how you are accessing it in MLS when you see this?
tolmanator

?

Post by tolmanator »

This isn't a custom report. This is when I'm filling out my quarterly report numbers to submit to SLC. For prospective elders, there is a link you can click on from the quarterly report data entry page that shows you how many prospective elders there are in the ward. When I click that there is usually only 10-15 names that should appear, instead there are 150-160 that includes all the primary age children. I've had tech support reset my MLS system which decreased the amount but there are still some children showing up.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tolmanator wrote:This isn't a custom report. This is when I'm filling out my quarterly report numbers to submit to SLC.
Since there are no configuration settings in MLS that can affect this, I think your only option is to continue working with Local Unit Support on this one.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

tolmanator wrote:When I click that there is usually only 10-15 names that should appear, instead there are 150-160 that includes all the primary age children. I've had tech support reset my MLS system which decreased the amount but there are still some children showing up.
That link should list every male in the database that is age 18 or older that has no Melchizedek Priesthood ordination or office recorded.

When you say that this link "includes all the primary age children," do you mean that females are also showing up on this list?

When you say that "there is usually only 10-15 names that should appear" in the prospective elders list, how long ago did the number jump from 10-15 to 150-160? (Do you really have 140 primary children in your ward?)

One way you might try to correct the problem is to individually reset the organizations/classes for each member printed on the prospective elders list. This is likely to be tedious. The process described in the Wiki as follows:
To reset the classes for an individual, go to the member's individual record. On the first screen of the record, you will see a blue link labeled Reset Organizations For Member. Click this link to reset membership in all classes to match the rules of those classes. For example, a prospective elder is assigned by rule to the High Priests organization, but for specific reasons may have been assigned to the Elders Quorum organization. Resetting his organizations will place him back in the High Priests organization.
Similary, reseting your Primary and Sunday School classes to their default rules might also help (or might be totally unnecessary).
For the Primary and Sunday School organizations, there is an option to reset classes for the entire organization. This option is located at the bottom of the Classes section of the first screen for the organization (you will usually have to scroll down to see it). Although this can be a very useful option, it should not be done casually, for it has drastic, irreversible effects. After using this option:
  • The organization will only have the default classes built into MLS with their default rules.
  • The membership of all the classes in the organization will be reset according to those rules.
  • All split classes in the organization are removed.
  • All specialty classes and any other classes that have been added to the organization are removed.
The only other option I could think of is that someone may have advanced your system date to something far enough into the future that all males are calculated as being at least 18 year old or older. If that is the case, you definitely need help from CHQ to get the database and MLS system back to the proper date.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”