Missing Batch procedure?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
theath

Missing Batch procedure?

Post by theath »

I am a stake finance clerk. Recently a couple of ward clerks have informed me that missing batches have shown up as exceptions on the new statements. What is the proper way to inform CHQ that the missing batches were due to stake conference? Or what is the proper way to clear them from the statements? It seems you could just check them off in MLS when I was ward clerk. Thanks in advance for your help.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

Typically MLS will pop up with an alert about missing donation information. Clerks must verify that there was no donations in the prior week. If the alert is missed, check the urgent tasks panel in MLS.

There are some cases where missing information still triggers the exception on the monthly report. Perhaps someone else can answer what to do in that situation.
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When a donations batch is begun MLS checks to see if there is a gap of over a week from the last one completed to the date currently being processed. If there is, a pop-up is presented with the option to check the dates no batch will be processed. The assumption is that donations are processed on Sunday. Therefore, the date is the Sunday a batch should have been processed. (I don't know how this is affected by donations made during tithing settlement not held on a Sunday) This is suppose to be a reminder to the clerk that there is a missing batch. Checking the box for the date there was no batch (or will be no batch), such as when stake conference is held, sets a flag for that date (week). If that box is not checked then MLS should continue to display that pop-up and it will show as an exception on the Unit Financial Statement (UFS).

That is how it is programmed to work, or should work. If the clerks checked the box for the week of stake conference and the UFS is showing an exception for that week and there is a donation batch that was processed after the reported exception and the follow-on batch is showing on the same UFS as the exception then there is a data problem at CHQ. The clerks will need to call LUS to have this rectified.

If stake conference week is the last week a donation batch would have been reported on a UFS then there is no action to take other than to check the following month's UFS for the exception. In this scenario the data at CHQ correctly reports a missing batch. The missing batch will be correctly reported for the following UFS since the clerks would have checked the box, set the flag, and this data would be correctly recorded at CHQ.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
funaddict

Post by funaddict »

Are you talking about Outstanding Reconciliation items on the monthly report? We would occasionally have batches reported as missing, typically when the Sunday was at the very end of the month, and might not have been processed by the bank until the first of the next month. After checking with the record in MLS I would confirm that they were indeed deposited and they would be resolved by the next months statement. I am still amused when I get a notice that MLS has recieved record of a deposit of $XXXX, but the bank has no record. and at the same time recieve a notice that the bank has recieved a deposit of $XXXX (same amount) but MLS has no record of it. I haven't worried too much about these as they have always resolved themselves.
A few years ago CHQ informed us that our bank was missing a deposit of $!0,XXX and at the same time notifying the other ward in our building, who uses the same bank, that they had an extra deposit of $10,XXX. I guess these things are just generated by computer or something, because it seems a human would see this and immediately put these two things together.
cferguso55

Post by cferguso55 »

I am having the exact same problem for every unit in the stake for the same day. I just contacted CHQ and they said each of the units will have to contact them directly to clear them.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”