Lack of color

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Lack of color

Post by craiggsmith »

Once again the color in our webcast stream is very dull. I don't think the problem is the signal; on my monitor it is fine. I'm using a communicator running at 500 kbps. Maybe the software converts the signal better?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jared_smith

Post by jared_smith »

We had the same problem in our Stake, but one of our Bishops had some experience with video production, and had us install either a -5dB or -10dB in-line module for the signal coming into the composite jack on the Webcast Communicator, and that seemed to make the color better. You might try tracking down something similar, and see if it helps.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks, I'll look into that.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

The camera has some lighting controls built in as well. The fluorescent light (in most chapels) makes people look washed out and dull. Optimizing the color settings of the cameras can help compensate for that. You can also ask FM to put a warmer colored light in the spotlights that shine on podium, too. That would help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:You can also ask FM to put a warmer colored light in the spotlights that shine on podium, too. That would help.

Cameras do not deal well with mixed lighting colors. You want everything that will be shown on camera lit by the same color light. Otherwise you're going to end up with something like the speaker looking red and the choir green. But do take advantage of the camera's white balance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I did forget to do a white balance; I was pressed for time. But the image looks fine on the monitors in the stake center, it is just the webcast that doesn't look good. I don't think the monitors are all adjusted weird but I will check.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

A washed out picture can be caused by splitting a video signal instead of using a video distribution amplifier.

Another way to increase color is to close the iris of the camera and make the picture darker. Some cameras have an adjustment to compensate for spotlight situations, decrease video gain, iris compensation, etc.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks. I wouldn't call the picture washed out, and the signal is never split except via a VDA. But I will play with the camera settings. But again, the picture is great on the local monitors, it's only the stream that has an issue.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Stake Conference weekend again. The color is still poor, not quite black and white but almost. We are now pulling the signal straight off the main distribution amplifier, so a weak signal can't be the issue. I also have a monitor hooked up to the same distribution amplifier and the color is fine on it.

We have a hardware communicator box and I tried the max 750 bit rate and it didn't help. In fact, I saw no difference whatsoever between the lowest (200) and the highest.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where does the poor color first show up? Is it a receiver problem?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”