Calendar access for Out Of Unit members

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
hooson

Calendar access for Out Of Unit members

Post by hooson »

Although I searched to see of this question had already asked and didn't find anything, I may have missed it. If that's the case I apologise for duplicating.

In short, is there any provision for or method whereby 'out of unit' members can view a different calendar than their own?

As an example, in our stake the mission office is located within the stake centre. The missionary couple who serve in the office regularly need to schedule missionary events within the building. Right now they submit booking requests to a stake executive secretary who makes the booking on their behalf and updates the calendar, or informs them that the building/room will not be available as requested.

What we are looking for is a way for the couple to be able to access our stake's calendar on lds.org (to view only, not to edit). As full-time senior missionaries in our stake they do not have membership records here though we have added them as 'out of unit' members in MLS. If they could access the online calendar it would simplify things for them and others as they would be able to see what is available before making a request.

Can anyone offer a solution that would allow them to access our stake's calendar? Right now our best thought is to have a stake executive secretary print the calendar to PDF each week and send it by email, or just to maintain the current system and forget the website - though we'd rather not.

NB: If anyone knows that what we are looking for is definitely NOT possible right now it would still be appreciated.
Hyde Park Ward
London England Hyde Park Stake
Stake Clerk
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I don't know whether there is a difference for out of unit leaders and members who are out of unit without a leadership position as listed in MLS. But by looking at theIssues for OOU leaders in YSA units thread at least an out of unit leader should be able to see the calendars for the unit in which they are serving. The thread I referenced was last posted to in late November 2011. The Church employee posting to that thread stated the bug that was preventing calendars for units in which an out of unit leader was serving from being displayed had been logged. Whether that bug has been fixed or not is not certain.

It was stated in that thread that an out of unit member had to be listed as an out of unit member in the administrators section of the classic calendar to be able to view the calendars (new calendars as well as classic calendar) of the unit in which they serve as an out of unit member.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:It was stated in that thread that an out of unit member had to be listed as an out of unit member in the administrators section of the classic calendar to be able to view the calendars (new calendars as well as classic calendar) of the unit in which they serve as an out of unit member.
That claim was repudiated by one of the calendar developers although I don't have the reference handy.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:That claim was repudiated by one of the calendar developers although I don't have the reference handy.
That theory was disputed in this post. I've posted this link in a couple of other threads that left open this possibility so that this unfounded theory doesn't continue to be perpetuated.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”