Windows Phone Projects Marked Inactive/Private?!?

andersonj

Windows Phone Projects Marked Inactive/Private?!?

Post by andersonj »

I noticed this morning that all of the Windows Phone projects (Gospel Library, LDS Tools, etc.) have been marked inactive. The project pages indicate that each project has been made private until the Church determines what next steps will be taken for this application. Is this platform being abandoned?

I've had a WP7 phone for the past 6 months or so, and I really like it, with one exception - it often seems to get left out when it comes to app development.
we_the_people

Post by we_the_people »

LDS Tools on my WP7 quit updating. Says it doesn't recognize my username/password.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

This is probably due to the eventual rollout next year of Windows 8 and it will have versions for PCs, tablets, and phones right out of the box.

You will get things via an 'app store' setup, probably Zune Marketplace, and one app will be licensed to share on five devices (PCs, phones, tablets, etc) and while that looks good for phone and tablet users, there are a lot of places that will want to still do software through their own locations so how all that will work out with this has yet to be seen.

Target date for release is probably September, unsure if that one means this year or next though. We're really only about two years out from Windows 7, and so this may parallel the period between Windows 2000 and XP in a way.
gjswank

Post by gjswank »

Can someone who is developing the WP7 apps please respond to this thread? Is there a way to take over the development of these apps if those who are involved do not want to develop for this platform anymore? This is very upsetting that a simple thing like login and apdating the info has been shut off for all those who have downloaded this app. Please give us some info and not speculation as to what is happening.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gjswank wrote:Can someone who is developing the WP7 apps please respond to this thread? Is there a way to take over the development of these apps if those who are involved do not want to develop for this platform anymore? This is very upsetting that a simple thing like login and apdating the info has been shut off for all those who have downloaded this app. Please give us some info and not speculation as to what is happening.
I am working on trying to find someone to respond to this. The first person I contacted had worked on the initial release, but not since then. The person he referred me to just responded to me, and it turns out he is no longer on the project either. But he referred me to someone else. I will continue to follow up until I find someone who can respond.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:I am working on trying to find someone to respond to this.

See an important update on the authentication problem here.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

AndersonJ wrote:I noticed this morning that all of the Windows Phone projects (Gospel Library, LDS Tools, etc.) have been marked inactive. The project pages indicate that each project has been made private until the Church determines what next steps will be taken for this application. Is this platform being abandoned?

I've had a WP7 phone for the past 6 months or so, and I really like it, with one exception - it often seems to get left out when it comes to app development.

Good question. I am interested in the answer also. I am also curious about the Mormon Channel App. At one point it was an active project, but apparently not any more?
clintsinger

Post by clintsinger »

jkentner wrote:Good question. I am interested in the answer also. I am also curious about the Mormon Channel App. At one point it was an active project, but apparently not any more?

Hi,

I am the developer on the Mormon Channel application for Windows Phone and I can tell you that I am actively working on it. You should be able to find it in the Marketplace right now.

There is also an update that will be submitted to Microsoft in the next couple days so you should be getting that as soon as it passes certification. It will add a more complete Mormon Channel experience.

Cheers,
Clint
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Clint, thanks for chiming in. That is good to know that development is moving forward. After watching the Windows Phone Summit today, Windows Phone is here to stay! It would be nice though to have www.lds.org/mobile updated to show that the mormon channel app is available on Windows Phone.

On a side note, do the different mobile app teams talk? There appears to be a gap in functionality across the platforms (IOS, Android, WP7) in the church developed apps. I don't think there is that much of a limitation in the OS dev capabilities. It just seems like there is no oversight, so each team can put out a different feature set if they choose. Case in point, the Gospel Library on WP7 you can listen to the scriptures or general conference, IOS and Android you can't. In LDS Tools, on Android it pulls in the pictures from lds.org directory of families/individuals, WP7 does not.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

@jkenter - Agreed regarding the different features, quality, etc between the different platforms. I am sure there are a number of reasons for this. No doubt that it would be ideal to have the same general features across the board. But I think there is no question that user demand/market penetration and quality of available devices & development tools plays into what features are brought to which platforms.

There is a recent thread in the forums with a user asking for better support for the BlackBerry playbook. In my opinion (as well as market analysts') BlackBerry is a dying platform. Not to mention that even current market penetration for the playbook is tiny. So to me it doesn't make sense to spend resources to growing a platform that is now very small & dying.

I would like to see iOS, Android & Windows8 (including Windows Phone 8) generally sport the same apps & features.

Return to “Mobile Applications”