Sorry, another 1041n with 5055 Cisco question.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stelring

Sorry, another 1041n with 5055 Cisco question.

Post by stelring »

Just plugged in three of the 1041n units in three different buildings that appear to have the 5055 Cisco.

Now what?

We want to retire our old Linksys wireless routers in these buildings, but I couldn't access the 1041n to set the SSIDs or the passwords.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Call GSD. Depending on the firewall (and perhaps what you have in between) they may have to get involved to do the setup.

I know the 1041N with the 881W will self-configure, but you have it give it time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

stelring wrote:We want to retire our old Linksys wireless routers in these buildings...
Out of curiosity why did you retire the old routers? Did they wear out? How old were they?
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

In order to configure the 1041 for MHI when your firewall is the Cisco 5505, you must contact the Global Service Center. There is a specific configuration that needs to be added to the firewall. You can email them at globalservicecenter@ldschurch.org
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

MerrillDL wrote:In order to configure the 1041 for MHI when your firewall is the Cisco 5505, you must contact the Global Service Center. There is a specific configuration that needs to be added to the firewall. You can email them at globalservicecenter@ldschurch.org

The 1041 Access points are lightweight meaning they get all their configuration for the controller at CHQ. An ASA does not have the needed dhcp option to tell the 1041 where to get an ip address. That is what the GSC can add to the ASA config. Very simple process.
stelring

Post by stelring »

Ok I emailed the GSN group asking what I need to do for my stake and we'll see what I get in response.

The old wireless is still there, the three buildings each have at lease one Linksys/Cisco WRT54G router (I think two of them have two) connected outside the Cisco 5505 router, but on opendns content blocking. So I want to get rid of those when the 1041n's come online.

Thanks for the help guys!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stelring wrote:The old wireless is still there, the three buildings each have at lease one Linksys/Cisco WRT54G router (I think two of them have two) connected outside the Cisco 5505 router, but on opendns content blocking.

If they are bypassing the Cisco, I'd unplug them immediately. That's against policy. I'd also be looking at the physical security so that someone doesn't change things after you leave.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”