Baby Blessed in Another Ward

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ataylor32

Baby Blessed in Another Ward

Post by ataylor32 »

I'm dealing with kind of an unusual situation. We recently had a family of four from the east coast move into our ward. They have a one-year-old who was blessed in Utah. As I said, they are from the east coast, so this child was obviously not blessed in his home ward. I'm guessing one of the child's parents have family in Utah or something. Anyway, when I requested the family's records, only three of the family members' records came. The missing record was for the one who was blessed in Utah. This leads me to believe that the blessing was never recorded.

First question: do you think this is a safe assumption or should I try to request the child's record just in case it was created but not tied to his family?

If my assumption is correct, I will need to create this child's record.

Second question: would it be correct to create this child's record via the "Record Child Blessing" portion of MLS even though the child wasn't blessed in my ward? If it would not be correct, what's the correct way to go about creating this child's record?

Thanks!
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Child's blessing are not recorded on Church records. You enter it into MLS to make a blessing certificate signed by the Bishop where the blessing took place.

The parents must authorized the creation of a record for their child. If they are okay with that then try to request the child's record from the previous ward just in case that clerk did. You might even look-up the clerk in CDOL and phone him about it.

If that clerk did not create a record you can just create a record at the parent's request.

See http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Recording_ordi ... g_children for helpful guidelines
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ataylor32 wrote:First question: do you think this is a safe assumption or should I try to request the child's record just in case it was created but not tied to his family?
Request first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”